Lawsuit?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is Ryu's story. I am wondering if Ryu works for Tokai? At times it sounds like it when he says "we" about Tokai.

If so, maybe he can help us all out and post some documents that support what he is asserting?

Maybe someone can message him and ask? Who knows, he may have something we haven't seen? Very possible.

Here is the true information and the only copy of this information in existence.

Paul colbert july 10th 1982 JV review. Clearly stated the “lawsuit”

Please note this is from 1982 and is solid in print information

How do I post a picture of the article 1982?

Information on “Lawsuit”

This is solid information and it can be read.

Melody maker article on the JV at fender japan. Paul Colbert 10th july 1982

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/cap_pid_ft:AAAAAHqazJr-6Kd7S0tMUljlEfVkuNBtKsCDD8fxrMI0hZsAoHCcJHk

Please note that this time line is perfect.

1982 fender wins “lawsuit”

1982 tokai logo transition to BLACK BLOCK logo but still springysound.

Late 1982, new tokai logo with new name for ST as Goldstar sound.

I think this clears it up very nicely.

Information on “Lawsuit”

This is solid information and it can be read.

Melody maker article on the JV at fender japan. Paul Colbert 10th july 1982

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/cap_pid_ft:AAAAAHqazJr-6Kd7S0tMUljlEfVkuNBtKsCDD8fxrMI0hZsAoHCcJHk

Please note that this time line is perfect.

1982 fender wins “lawsuit”

1982 tokai logo transition to BLACK BLOCK logo but still springysound.

Late 1982, new tokai logo with new name for ST as Goldstar sound.

I think this clears it up very nicely.

Add on, as it reads, fender go after the 7okai logo 1982 and win 1982.it also states that Tokai as we all should know was in the running for the “fender japan contract” 1982

I suggest that because fender chose Fuji then they could stop tokai with a lawsuit as it’s very logical to do this as fender japan to cut competition and any confusion.

There is a known ST springy sound with a “fender decal” made at tokai so this would be the prototype guitar. See cliffsguitarworkd.com for tokai with fender factory logo

Fascinating. Do you have a higher resolution image? Hard to see everything unfortunately.

Can you link Cliff’s guitar? I haven’t seen that one. Cliff?

I just read through the article.

I still don’t see a reference to a specific court proceeding or any sort of legal action.

I see:

“courtroom battle against Tokai”

“CBS Arbiter fought them on grounds of passing off, claiming the Tokai logo was shaped to look like Fender and lure customers.”

Do you have any thing to support that?

Also, any idea what country the legal action happened in?

The logo part makes sense. That’s what I had guessed.

5kVVwZP.png

You must all understand that there is no hype in 1982 in the uk or America over tokai and the article is of it’s time after the Fuji contract, the JV is uk price £220 so it’s a budget guitar as the tokai is without any hype like 30 years on so why would anyone create “Paul Colbert” a story like this.

You guys can screen shot or copy the picture and sort resolution on a pc which I have yet to do.

Also is this action taken in japan? If so there would not be no translation or reference from a Japan court. Or is it held in America because there is absolutely no reference to this in the USA court. You must look at law and how it’s filed in a specific country and if that country releases the information

SRV HAD A GOLDSTAR SOUND SO THATS 1985 according to the catalogs.

30 years on and it’s a craze in 1982 it’s a budget guitar at Fuji and tokai in 1982 so the article regardless is correct and to further the time line. Fender japan April 1982, the article is July so again that gave fender a few months to act.

It’s a solid reference from a time of budget guitars not the magical guitars that we see today with a 115 at 5k uk price and the ST120 about the same.

There is no need to make up such an article at all and it’s not an article from fender or tokai it’s from a respectable music writer. Please see “Paul Colbert” melody maker, NME and so on. The guy is a bit of a legend in his own rights.

Everything in this article is chronologically correct and it’s from the beginning so it’s the right information.

To answer the arbiter question, arbiter and fender work together CBS years so again it’s pre JV. Arbiter distributed fender guitars in the uk pre JV and had a close relationship hence why it’s mentioned as the distributor

The article says “courtroom battle”

Arbiter is the uk distributor and as both the JV and springy is made fur the uk and Europe the it’s just saying that Arbiter is concerned of sales in the uk of the JV as the tokai ST a direct threat.

Arbiter is the uk distributor for CBS as there are no “fender dealers” at this time or in recent years “fender direct” so Arbiter is directly effected in the uk by sal a of the TOKIA ST the JV was made for the uk then Europe and Australia but batch 1 is uk distributed

The article is a review not an advertisement and is not written by fender or tokai so it’s not biased in anyway as only a review and a reference to what’s going on.

The tokai ST would import on Arbiter sales in the uk so it’s CBS and Arbiter effected by the tokai ST and logo as a direct rip off

I also think the article supports its self and there is no need to question the article or writer, time line or anything else in the article as my opinion because it’s from 1982 and not biased

I think I just found a smoking gun. I’ll post it when I get home.

1980 tokai fender logo ST 85 grade springy sound. It’s in the tokai catalog and advertising. There is also other examples in 1980. Did fender talk to tokai in 1980? Did it take 2 years to sort out the contract?

Was tokai first in line?

Tokai lost because Fuji had CNC machines but tokai did not and pre 1984 the ST and Les Paul have hand tool marks. Tokai got the professional CNC machines early 1984 and it’s said they lost the contract because of this reason

See Tokai ST springy sound 1980 fender logo magazine guitar. Link added

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147832065@N08/albums/72157709263510427

I think I found a smoking gun thanks to the article you posted.

MT0aLa7.jpg

n8MJ9Vw.jpg

Now it would be incredible to find a copy of the letter "distributed by CBS Arbiter Musical Instruments of the 21st January 1982 headed "Urgent - Press Release" " 8)

Great information in those letters and it looks like Arbiter took action with the approval of CBS. These might before a courtroom battle as happened but as a result of it.

Again I’m just connected dots, it’s only my opinion on the information available.

I’m new here

No, you really helped me out with the lead you provided. Big thanks!

40 year old mystery here. 8)

Note that the rebuttal sent to Blue Suede Music Ltd. describes the action by Fender as an "injunction".

That sounds like legal action....

Latest posts

Back