Hey, ya'll. A new convert, strange thing is....(silver star)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seifukusha

Reaction score
.... i just got back from a LIFE CHANGING trip to Japan. No, its not my first trip to Japan (i lived there for years, I go every few months, and I can speak Japanese). Nope, for the new year, I thought id jet down for a weekend in fukuoka (south island of kyshuu). I found a really rad shop first thing (ogawa music, in tenjin).

So, anyway, I walk over to the used guitar section....
A 80's Burny LES PAUL CUSTOM IN BLACK, gorgeous....

i played it. ****, its heavy. go to the reviews section of the hc archives. les paul custom. i compared to a $2000 gibbie custom. More heavy, but the same. binding is gorgeous. I may switch the bridge pu out (the gibbie had more kick), but its awesome..
how much?

$170 us!

AND THEN.....

a yellow silver star tokai strat!!!!!!

same thing, just the body is faded yellow. THIS GUITAR IS SIMPLE AMAZING. unplugged it sings and rings: UNPLUGGED!!!!!! plugged in, the neck position is ssssssssssooooooooooooooo amazing with clarity and depth. so beautiful. So, i pulled a MIJ strat w/ texas specials and a frontman usa fender, and THIS SMOKED THEM BOTH!!!! It was about 2 TIMES the oomph and loudness of the MIJ and about as much for the USA. Post CBS neck (THE NECK IS SO FAT...ITS REALLY GORGEOUS). I cant believe it. UNPLUGGED! Ill sing more about this guitar later. GOT TO GO PLAY!~!!!

How much? $150

so for about $330, I got two beautys....now i understand about Japanese guitars. Not names on the headstock, but make, quality...Japanese apparently dont like japanese made guitars too much (they are very anal about brands and associations: thats what happens when you mix confucian culture and a market economy, but anyhoo...)

problem is: my back is sore from carrying them and a heavy bag for like 5 hours, in between riding planes and trains.

I lived there for a few years and always walked passed them: greco, tokai, etc. but I know now where some have been sitting in little country shops for a few years.

sorry, dont ask me to buy any for you. I dont live there now and anything I find is mine!! im a new believer!!!

i saw one on ebay for like $300. Its easily worth 4x's that. comapred to a mij fen with texas specials (and a mia frontman)with room to spare. like twice the volume. even unplugged. its so rad! Its got usuable sounds at all 5 positions. I think i need to upgrade the pots. Im keeping it on 10 and the tones at ten as well, but even then, they sound great! so much oomph. faded yellow on black looks a bit 80's, but ill deal for now!!! its so cool. are the silver stars so rare?

Back