Heavy Metal Guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyS

Reaction score
Hi There.

I bought this guitar back in 1984 and I'm trying to figure out what it is in preparation to selling it. I'm thinking that its a TZ55 based on the shape and the number 55 on the back of the headstock. The catalogue says that the TZ series were limited Edition? I am however confused that it has "Original Series" on the headstock, as doesn't match any of the models from that catalogue. Can anybody confirm what it is?

The guitar hasn't really been played for 20-odd years and just has a few very light surface scratches - no chips or dinks in the paintwork. Any idea on how much it is worth?

Thanks and hope somebody can help.

Guitar008.jpg

Guitar002.jpg

Guitar006.jpg

Guitar007.jpg
[/img]

I swear that if I turned up to a gig with that I would been unceremoniously dropped from any and all metal bands. :eek:

Ozeshin said:
I swear that if I turned up to a gig with that I would been unceremoniously dropped from any and all metal bands. :eek:

What can I say? I was young!

Actually, people on the modern electro scene (yes, they play guitars sometimes) would love that one. It'd fit right in a La Roux video! :D

/Magnus

it's a really nice example of what it is ....if that makes sense ...

they're a bit like old cars the strong colours ie white black red usually are worth more ...

it's got a kind of Steve Stevens vibe about it so i reckon it'd be worth
about ?100-150 without a case ....

are you in the UK ??

Jockai said:
it's a really nice example of what it is ....if that makes sense ...

they're a bit like old cars the strong colours ie white black red usually are worth more ...

it's got a kind of Steve Stevens vibe about it so i reckon it'd be worth
about ?100-150 without a case ....

are you in the UK ??

Thanks for your help. Through a bit more detective work I've worked out it is a TZ55-PGR.

Yes, based in the UK.

Do you know what the colour code is (in body route). It looks like the notorious SO (sonic Blue thats not sonic blue!)

Jockai said:
i reckon it'd be worth about ?100-150 without a case ....

Not my kind of guitar, but the rosewood on the neck should be worth nearly that!

Mike

iainblack said:
Do you know what the colour code is (in body route). It looks like the notorious SO (sonic Blue thats not sonic blue!)

Not sure what you mean by "body route". The colour code is PGR according to an old catalogue.

What is the notorious SO?

Surely you've heard of "Notorious SOB"? Famous rap star.

:lol:

No, actually he means the colour Tokai called SO - which they claimed was Sonic Blue. Except it isn't. When new it looked closer to Daphne Blue, 25 years later it's closer to Surf Green or Sea Foam Green (can anyone tell the difference between those 2 greens?).

Iain & I both have a Goldie in that colour. Nice colour, it's just not what it claims to be, that's all.

IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

I always thought that Tokai's SO color looked like a slightly darker version of Daphne Blue, which of course is itself already darker than Sonic Blue

a true Fender Sonic Blue finish is 8) ........................

Surf Green is lighter in tone of green & Sea Foam is darker in tone of green; used to like both but no longer a big fan of either ......

MIJvintage said:
Surf Green is lighter in tone of green & Sea Foam is darker in tone of green; used to like both but no longer a big fan of either ......

OK, regardless of what they are supposed to be, which Fender colour would you say these two are closest to?

IMG_2988.jpg

stratman323 said:
MIJvintage said:

OK, regardless of what they are supposed to be, which Fender colour would you say these two are closest to?

........... sounds like a fun game ....... I'll play :) ...........

The Jag looks like a circa/post 1965 & the only reason I state that is because the head stock has obviously 'aged' more than the finish on the body.
The head stock face looks to have a nitro clear coat & the body does not, thus the different look in aging.
After Fender converted from the nitro to poly finishes in the mid 1960s, the head stocks were still cleared with nitro, because the decals reacted badly with poly clear.
The blues (Sonic & Daphne) can become 'green' tinted over time, because of the aging clear coat; yellow (clear coat) + blue = green.
If 'properly' stored this phenomena is very unlikely tho' :)

Having said that the Jag to my eyes looks like a very aged Daphne Blue.

The Tokai looks like a fresher/non aged version of Daphne Blue.

Wating for the host's reply :lol: ...................

MIJvintage said:
........... sounds like a fun game ....... I'll play :) ...........

Having said that the Jag to my eyes looks like a very aged Daphne Blue.

The Tokai looks like a fresher/non aged version of Daphne Blue.

Wating for the host's reply :lol: ...................

Well I don't really know, that's why I asked what you thought! We know the Goldie is allegedly Sonic Blue & I agree with you that it's closer to Daphne than anything else.

The Jag is a refinished 1966 (first year of the block inlays, I believe), but the seller didn't state what the colour is. All he said was "Original 1966 Fender Jaguar. Has a relic aged refin." I assume it must be Surf Green or Foam Green, I hadn't considered Daphne as an option. I guess I should have asked what year it was refinished.

Shame I'm not a surfer, but we just don't get those big waves rolling down the Thames these days....

stratman323 said:
...but we just don't get those big waves rolling down the Thames these days....

I hope you never do!

Nice Jag, but it doesn't look much like surf or seafoam, even the brand new Fender guitars that are surf/seafoam are greener than that Jag.

But... depending on the lighting conditions surf green can look very much like pale blue. I guess what I'm saying is that the Strat could be surf green, and if it is then the Jag is not any kind of green (except for the headstock which looks like surf green). Then again, under different light the Strat could be foam green and the Jag could be surf green.

Oh man... that means nothing :oops:

Back