End of the forum?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blake375 said:
Hi all

I only just saw this: http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15517

I'm surprised there hasn't been a more prominent thread on it - perhaps it's a joke I didn't get? I hope so.

Assuming it isn't a joke, I'd like to thank Ned, the moderators, and all regular contributors for making a great forum. I've certainly learned a lot here since I joined.

Go to the "General Discussion" forum. :(
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15518

Plus there's a couple of other connected threads in there too.

marcusnieman said:
Read this everyone and take heed:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=15532

Ok, read it, now what does it mean? :lol:
If you could explain the practical application of the terms that would be good.

JVsearch said:
marcusnieman said:

Don't know if you're being facetious but it seems pretty clear to me - In a nutshell, I'd say it indemnifies Ned from any such legal claims against him as moderator of this site and it establishes a code of conduct for forum members for which any deviation could result in immediate action.

There are plenty of other forums that have such usage terms and one flameup, cross word or such, you're history. Hell, when you sign up for iTunes, you have to agree to the useage terms before you can use it.

I don't see a problem with it

marcusnieman said:
JVsearch said:
marcusnieman said:

Don't know if you're being facetious but it seems pretty clear to me - In a nutshell, I'd say it indemnifies Ned from any such legal claims against him as moderator of this site and it establishes a code of conduct for forum members for which any deviation could result in immediate action.

There are plenty of other forums that have such usage terms and one flameup, cross word or such, you're history. Hell, when you sign up for iTunes, you have to agree to the useage terms before you can use it.

I don't see a problem with it

No I wasn't. iTunes, whatever, never used it.
Software electronic click wrap agreements, whatever, never read them.

"one flameup, cross word or such, you're history" - this is the sort of thing I was after, the practical meaning! And I'm not just asking for myself, many people will read those terms and not get through the first paragraph, not because there's something wrong with them, but because to many people that type of lawyer speak is utterly boring and vague nonsense. This is a large part of how lawyers have the jobs they have - they're the only ones who can stomach it! :lol:

Statements about users not preventing other users from enjoying the forum, and no conduct that gives rise to criminal or civil liability are just too vague for practical use. How the hell is anyone to know what gives rise to civil liability, none of us has noticed the recent activity that has given rise to it. That is why I suggested earlier that we work up a code of conduct and obviously it should be in plain language. Good idea?

I tend to agree with JVsearch on this one. The legalese seems to make sense in very general terms, & hopefully it will prevent Ned and/or the forum being held responsible for the statements of various members. It doesn't, however, clarify just what we must avoid saying to keep everyone out of trouble.

"Be nice" is fine - most of us try to be nice, but when we are expressing opinions about guitars, there are pros & cons about all guitars. It seems that we can mention the pros but not the cons.

How can that make sense?

The way I understand it is the discussion of pros and cons of any particular guitar or merchandise is fair game, but it's the personal attacks on someones character or integrity is where the line is drawn.......

I co-own a very large cycling website with a big forum. We have a bunch of rules (available on request) and we've always taken the stance that it's our forum and to play with it, you have to abide by our rules.

Generally it works very well, with few moderators and on the whole is pretty self-governing. Occasionally there'll be a Friday night flare up of non-cycling rubbish, but a few temporary, but draconian bannings seems to sort things for a while. We've banned people forever if they've been consistently an arse and the majority seem pretty happy.

With most forums I've seen, there can be anything up to 90% of visitors who just read and never/rarely post - this is the huge and happy majority. Then of the 10% of regulars, you get a few who can be arses, but who reckon that they're the life and soul of the forum. When they step over the line and get banned, they complain that we'll miss them because they add character and humour to the site, when to the silent 90% and the happy other 9%, they're just a bit annoying and are quickly not missed.

Not sure where I'm going with this one, but as a fellow forum owner (and Tokai owner too!) I'm watching this with interest and I'll be very sorry if the Tokai Forum does close without finding a new home. It's one of only three or four forums I ever visit...

Latest posts

Back