Another new member looking for help with model ID (Love Rock)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, you have a really desirable guitar then. I bet it sounds and plays great.

That guitar would be worth restoring some day if you find someone who is good at it. The missing chunk could be filled and over sprayed since it is a solid color at the edge, and the scratches in the back buffed out, or just left for character. The finish should be lacquer, but it is not your typical nitro cellulose. Might be worth some research if you go that route.

Check this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26401&p=198112&hilit=lacquer+finish#p198112

Very cool guitar! Congratulations.

Just to reiterate, it might be an LS150 or an LS200. Could also be an LS80 with all of the strange things Tokai did at times.

Without the original electronics it is hard to know.

Any idea what the fret board wood is?

Also, can you verify that the serial number is 7 digits starting with 50...

This is my 1982 mystery guitar. It had a PCB board in it so I know the model is below an LS150.

Solid flamed maple top and one piece body.

rM4JABz.jpg

Btw, that pickup with the handwritten T Top script seems unusual. Wondering if it’s a boutique or a rebuilt pickup? The base plate has two holes for lead wires to go through on opposite corners.

It’s uncovered. Do you see a “T” on the top in the black plastic?

IMG_20221011_141139.jpg

7 digit serial starting with 502XXXX.

No T on top of the pickup so likely a repro like you said.

Since it's in the mystery category I can call it a LS80-200 :wink:

The fretboard is rosewood just not sure what type...
IMG-20221012-101620.jpg

Yeah man, it's a keeper.

And with the electronics already changed, you can put whatever you like in there and not worry about that affecting its value.

Congrats!

In 1985 the catalogs show that LS60/80/100 were all laminates.

Here is a 1985 LS80 I had that had a flamed laminate top. Sycamore I believe.

You can see the seam of the laminate 2-3 mm to the right of the seam for the maple cap.

1YclabU.jpg

MetalTele79 said:

My 1985 LS80 with the laminate top also had no nibs though as an LS80 I believe it was supposed to.

I always assumed it was re-fretted.

6L7W5ny.jpg

Back