Another new member looking for help with model ID (Love Rock)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetalTele79

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just found and joined this forum as I recently picked up a Tokai Love Rock. Can anybody help me out with a model identification? In an '85 based on the serial number 50XXXX. The pickups are not original and it is currently wired with push/pull coil split volume knobs. It has a cherry sunburst flame top, one piece back and a bound body and neck with no nibs.

IMG_20221008_163713-01.jpg

IMG_20221008_163631-01.jpg

IMG_20221008_163812-01.jpg

IMG_20221011_115643-01.jpg

Welcome,

Assuming the top is laminate? Can you tell?

Is the back one piece or multiple pieces? May need to look in bright light.

Have you done an acetone test to see if it reacts?

Sigmania said:
Welcome,

Assuming the top is laminate? Can you tell?

Is the back one piece or multiple pieces? May need to look in bright light.

Have you done an acetone test to see if it reacts?

Thanks for the reply.

The back is one piece. I have not done an acetone test. I just pulled the neck pickup and it looks like a solid flame cap as the flame extends downward to the mahogany.

IMG_20221011_131253.jpg

Well that's a very good thing! Is there a PCB board in the control cavity?

Sigmania said:

No PCB board but all the electronics have been replaced so there may have been one in the past. The neck is a Gibson R61 and the bridge is a mystery that says TTop Bridge X5 a date and a signature.

IMG_20221011_141139.jpg

*levels adjusted to make the writing more distinguishable.

Sigmania said:

No PCB board but all the electronics have been replaced so there may have been one in the past. The neck is a Gibson R61 and the bridge is a mystery that says TTop Bridge X5 a date and a signature.

IMG_20221011_141139.jpg

MetalTele79 said:
The back is one piece. I have not done an acetone test. I just pulled the neck pickup and it looks like a solid flame cap as the flame extends downward to the mahogany.

That's not necessarily true. There's a maple cap there for sure, but the surface could be a flame laminate. The only way to tell would be to check the join lines and the grain lines. If they line up on the top and on the walls of the pickup cavity then you have a solid top. If they don't match up then you have a laminate.

It’s really weird. In this period Tokai was kind of laminate crazy. LS80/100 were laminates.

If that’s really a solid flame top that would be something. I can see what looks like flame through the maple cap.

Can you post a pic along the center seam as Paladin suggested?

Thanks for all the replies. The grain lines going down into the pickup cavities match up with the flame on the top. I was having a hell of a time trying to get a photo of the transition because my phone kept trying to focus on different things. I'll pull the pickups again when I get my DSLR back off of my brother and can take a proper photo.

Good deal. It can be incredibly hard to tell. As Paladin2015 was saying, the tell is usually along the center seam. Veneer is rarely matched exactly at the center of the cap.

I was wondering if it could be an LS200, but that did not come in CS in the 1985/86 catalog. The rest of the LS models in the 1985 & 86 catalogs (60/80/100) are veneers.

Let us know if you can see if it is veneer.

1985 catalog

wUuufLA.jpg

1985/86 catalog

Q0oNDZr.jpg

Yep. I added that.

You may have a mystery on your hands. In this period there were some weird things that came out of the factory.

From your pic of the bridge pickup it sure looks like the flame is continuous into the cavity.

IMG_20221011_141139.jpg

Note that that thread contains a few 1985 LS150 solid flametops that are not shown in those two catalogs.

Reborn Old said:
1985 LS-150

1985 LS-150 , photo courtesy of Gottfried at tokaiguitar.de/

1985 LS-150 , photo courtesy of Gottfried at tokaiguitar.de/

You could also just look where that chunk is missing on the edge of the top.

Should show up there too if the grain is not continuous.

UkIEFbv.jpg

And 1985 LS200s.

Reborn Old said:
1985 LS-200 - photo courtesy of Villager + japanguitars.co.uk

1985 LS-200

1985 LS-200

1985 LS-200

1985 LS-200

1985 LS-200

MetalTele79 said:
…and the bridge is a mystery that says TTop Bridge X5 a date and a signature.

IMG_20221011_141139.jpg

Is that a date in 1969 possibly?

Sigmania said:
Is that a date in 1969 possibly?

It's either 19 or 69 but I have no idea. I just pulled the neck pickup again and the center seam on the top lines up with the seam into the pickup cavity and the flame on the side matches with the top.

I appreciate all the info. Its been helpful to know what to look for.

Back