Aight gents and gals

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the 59's it's the same thing, it's called holly veneer. Gibson has always done this. Holly is almost grainless, no grainfiller needed, and very easy to paint.
It's thicker on your burny, but it's the same principle.

It surprises me u don't know this :roll:

duff said:
On the 59's it's the same thing, it's called holly veneer. Gibson has always done this. Holly is almost grainless, no grainfiller needed, and very easy to paint.
It's thicker on your burny, but it's the same principle.

It surprises me u don't know this :roll:
Holly veneer is one thing. And its not nearly half a centimeter thick.
Plywood......what the F....
Besides that, the mahogany is really bad and I think it migh be that Asian version that is very similar.

I will try to remove the logo plate and take some pics.

Koubayashi said:
MIJvintage said:
Koubayashi said:
I will take better pics but here you go for now.

OK, I see what you're looking at; Gibson does basically the same thing :wink:

I have seen a crashed -99 Gib Custom and it was mahogany all the way up to the plastic.
But it is an interesting question that has to be looked into.

Do I dare to ask the guys at the LP-forum or they will just ignore anything that doesn't lift Gibson above the sky? :D (get the same vibes here though, ha ha).
Are you sure about that? Was it a historic or a regular production? Your point was that burny did it to be cheap so, they wouldn't have to route for binding but, that's the way Gibson has always done it.

Koubayashi said:
Holly veneer is one thing. And its not nearly half a centimeter thick.
Plywood......what the F....

You know, depending on the plywood, there is nothing wrong with it, especially for the headstock template. Nice finished void-less Russian Baltic Birch is some fine ply and looks amazing and is as tough as nails.

Surely, although Gibsons and Tokais have holly veneer on the headstock, they don't have a plywood strip running down the neck to avoid having to rout for binding?

That seems like a bit of a cheap trick to me.

No. The fretboard is sized to accommodate binding on either side of it.
It is only a time-saving procedure on the headstock and even then I can't help but think of it as an already pre-routed veneer (they just happen to size it before they stick it on).

I think that the meaning of plywood is a bit different up here than it is in the English speaking world.

Explanation: we use the term plywood for that crappy sxxt that is pressed togehter (in general 5-10mm thick) Think Duke, Sigma and cheapest Epiphone China. (no Gibson has this wood).

This Burny has a layer of that cheapest sxxt wood.
First neck, than a 4mm layer of that cheap wood and then the headplate.

If they had glued another piece of mahogany to save time on the routing it would be fine but not the crap they put there on this.

I will remove the binding and se to what extent it consists of crap and mahogany. I hope I don't find what I suspect I will find.

plywood is a couple of veneers pressed together.

On traditional les pauls u have one layer, the holly veneer.

On the burny u have a couple of those layers, as i can see on the pic.
If it's just on the headstock, what difference will it make.
They obviously used this to speed up things, so they didn't have to route the edges of the headstock.

An es-335 body is completely made out of this stuff.

Plywood=laminated wood.

Sure, there will be degrees in quality, and i would rather see a complete mahogany headstock, but it still is a budget guitar we're talking about.
If it's under the freatboard, that would be really cheap :evil:, but i don't think that will be the case.

I think that the Japanese overcome the Americans again.
Speed up the produktion and of course using toneglue, very nice for good tone from headstocks. As I say before, that koubayashi are talk o lot and very fast. I have over 10 Burnys and love tham all. If you make bad parcels it will broke. No big deal, nail it together and hang it on your wall. :wink:

GREKEN said:
I think that the Japanese overcome the Americans again.
Speed up the produktion and of course using toneglue, very nice for good tone from headstocks. As I say before, that koubayashi are talk o lot and very fast. I have over 10 Burnys and love tham all. If you make bad parcels it will broke. No big deal, nail it together and hang it on your wall. :wink:

I'd say that the glue is rather average.
The fretboard came of by using just a ruler and manual bending. Further, the head cracked up nicely in three parts just by pushing a knife through the finish into the seems.

Keep in mind that Greco used a great glue that keeps the veneer tops from breaking up :D . Fujigen also used superb materials for the binding on Grecos :D
I reckon Orvilles are famous for their top of the line glue as well (depending on the factory in Orville's case) :D

However, modern Gibson is a tragic story as well (apart from the CS which are in general very well built.......and expensive).

duff said:
plywood is a couple of veneers pressed together.

On traditional les pauls u have one layer, the holly veneer.

On the burny u have a couple of those layers, as i can see on the pic.
If it's just on the headstock, what difference will it make.
They obviously used this to speed up things, so they didn't have to route the edges of the headstock.

An es-335 body is completely made out of this stuff.

Plywood=laminated wood.

Sure, there will be degrees in quality, and i would rather see a complete mahogany headstock, but it still is a budget guitar we're talking about.
If it's under the freatboard, that would be really cheap :evil:, but i don't think that will be the case.

335s are made from maple veneer.

I also would prefer a layer of mahogany under the head plate but when it comes to the sound those few CMs won't matter very much. Its just about the feel.

Budget guitars indeed but mostly good bang for the pennies.
Especially if the bang isn't from the headstock snapping :D

And for the best possible sustain they left a 2mm gap on each side of the neck when they glued it into the neckpocket :D

Seems it can be seen on Grecos as well. I smashed a Lester and then gave the leftovers to a friend of mine. He said that it had a 1.5mm gap on both sides in the neck pocket. However, he has now restored it and made a hell of a player of it.

P1050552.jpg

Koubayashi said:
Keep in mind that Greco used a great glue that keeps the veneer tops from breaking up :D . Fujigen also used superb materials for the binding on Grecos :D

Uh I would not say that myself. So many Greco Mint Collection models I have seen all share one commonality...binding separation and top veneer peeling. They are amazing guitars but those two things are common ones indeed.

Koubayashi said:
And for the best possible sustain they left a 2mm gap on each side of the neck when they glued it into the neckpocket :D

Wait, you are of of those folks who believe that tenon length and pocket construction play a integral part in sustain? The best sustain is where the wood absorbs no sound at all...sustain comes from the strings, not the wood. Neck construction is all about strength IMO

Koubayashi said:
yes 4 layers, and some rumours say the old ones had poplar for the inner layers. But again, 4 layers of maple veneer = laminated wood = ply wood.
I guess the neck didn't have the plywood?

Udonitron said:
Koubayashi said:

Uh I would not say that myself. So many Greco Mint Collection models I have seen all share one commonality...binding separation and top veneer peeling. They are amazing guitars but those two things are common ones indeed.

Koubayashi said:

Wait, you are of of those folks who believe that tenon length and pocket construction play a integral part in sustain? The best sustain is where the wood absorbs no sound at all...sustain comes from the strings, not the wood. Neck construction is all about strength IMO

Yo Udo!
I was being sarcastic about the glue part :wink:

For the rest I would appreciate some form of tangible "evidence".

duff said:
Koubayashi said:
yes 4 layers, and some rumours say the old ones had poplar for the inner layers. But again, 4 layers of maple veneer = laminated wood = ply wood.
I guess the neck didn't have the plywood?

The neck has a thick plywood layer.
And its not mahogany plywood :wink:

However, you cannot compare the construction of a solid guitar and a semi-hollow/hollow.

If you think plywood or not doesn't matter you can save a lot of money by buying Sigma LPs! They are like 25? and all made from the cheapest plywood. Which of course doesn't matter for the tone and the sound :D

MIJvintage said:

looks like a maple top on that one; too bad it wasn't all maho ............. didn't need a head stock any how :lol: ............

Ya man. Its a 5 piece maple top.

I bought this one to put next to a candy red and a silver sparkle so quality wasn't very much in focus :D

Latest posts

Back