Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fernandes Super Grade (Pics and questions!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twolf
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:39 am    Post subject: Fernandes Super Grade (Pics and questions!) Reply with quote

G'day fellow guitar lovers!

Please allow me to introduce myself: My name is Thilo, I am 24 years old and started playing guitar 9 years ago. Guitars are my favourite hobby. I always taught myself as I always thought that I do not have to become the best player in the shortest amount of time possible. In the last year I started building my own effectspedals and amps as a sort of recreational compensation.

My first electric guitar was a Gibson SG: I remember going to the local guitar store aiming to buy a Squier Stratocaster. But as I saw this very special SG I knew I had to get her even though she exceeded my budget.

Since then I have stayed with SGs as I got myself a second Gibson. However, in the last years I realised that Gibson USA guitars are not of particular good build quality. They look good and some can be made into great guitars - but you are not guarenteed to get one out of the box.

This is why I started getting into japanese made guitars when I looked for my first Les Paul.

And finally, there she is: A Fernandes Super Grade.

She looks and feels great. The sound is awesome (she is equipped with Gibson Burstbuckers though... there goes the quality )

She was sold to me as a 1990 MIJ model ("The top model back then").
I do however feel that this is not correct. The original Pots very removed (therefore no date codes). Under the neck PU is a number that reads 31983. On the back of the headstock is a sticker that reads "Made In Japan". Except for a few dents on the upper body the overall condition is way too good for 26 years. She looks more like 2 years old.

Maybe someone on this forum can help me date and identify her.

Thanks in advance!

PS: At the moment I cannot take pictures myself. The ebay pictures are from the seller.
PPS: English is not my first language, I apologize for my mistakes
marcusnieman
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty. Nice catch.
brokentoes
Guitar God

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Thilo !!

I'm not too familiar with Burny/Fernandes guitars but that serial number starting with "3" with 5 digits in total should mean that it dates from a year with a "3". 1983, 1993 etc. The headstock "Fernandes" script should help date it to a certain period as well but alas i can't personally say as i don't have that knowledge. It looks like it is a fine example of a Les Paul no two ways about it. Does it have fret edge binding ??

Congrats on a beautiful LP !!!
twolf
Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcusnieman wrote:
That's a beauty. Nice catch.

-

Thank you, brokentoes!

The modified-bell shaped trussrod cover in combination with the serial should make her a 93 then, is that correct? I looked up the headstock script and found some infomation on Stratocasters but no pictures and nothing on Super Grades.

What exactly is a fret edge binding? Is this the term for the binding that extends upwards from the main binding like on Gibson guitars? In that case: Yes, it's there.

Tomorrow I'll try to get my hands on a good camera and take some pictures together with on of my SGs.
Thomas/Sweden
Guitar God

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Subtly flamed and beautiful color!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tokai Forum - a subsidiary of TokaiRegistry.com Forum Index -> Burny/ Fernandes All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: