4 Bolt Neck Plate information needed please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSouvlaki

Reaction score
A question please. I saw a SS Tokai with a 7 digit serial number starting with "101****" and it has the same signage as my SS in my earlier post.

My question is;

what year would it be? and is it common for pre 85 models to have 4 Bolt neck Plate? where mine has 3 bolt.

Please guide me.

Thanks heaps guys.

BigSouvlaki

I think you're confusing silver star ( post cbs copies,3 bolt neck plate ) and springy sound (pre cbs copies, 4 bolt neck plate). Or is it a Tokai with the big head and 4 bolt neck plate?

Its ok I worked it out a mate told me its a 1980 Featuring the highly sought after Tokai 1980's "Spaghetti" logo neck.

Vintage Tokai Neck with Greco or Aria ProII neck plate and Fender bridge.

The body looks like a Matsumoku made body for either a Greco or a Aria ProII that has been repainted and the neck plate has the L-series serial number.

Mate said to me forget it as it is not original McKoy, guess I made a fool of myself! :roll: Im learning every day.

Bigsouvlaki

Also, if it's SN=101xxxx on headstock, then it's 1981 (not 1980). 7okai logo not espescially collectable/valuable on Silverstar (can double price on Springy or Breezy though).

As you said "I'm learning every day" ... yep that's a good strategy, always best to learn these things for yourself instead of relying on so-called "expert" advice (which may turn out unreliable).

On the other hand a little knowledge IS a dangerous thing (as the old saying goes). If you see a guitar that looks good, you can always post a photo or link here ... plenty of guys here know what to look for (& very unlikely anyone would bid against you, I certainly won't) :-? .

Ian.

Ian thank you for that. May I ask you a favour please, can you give me some examples of the Breezy or springwood. In other words, model and year etc, that I should keep my eye out for.

Regards

Big Souvlaki

?Breezysound? is the name Tokai gives to their Telecaster guitars.

?Springysound? was the name given to Tokai Stratocasters until 1982. After 1982 they changed the name to ?Goldstarsound?. These guitars were copied from either mid-1950?s Fender Stratocaster (with maple Fretboard) or form 1960?s Fender Stratocaster (with Rosewood Fretboard).

?Silverstar? was the name given to Tokai copies of the 1970?s style Fender Stratocasters (ie with bigger headstock, bullet truss-rod, & 3-bolt neck plate).

You can see examples of the different decals/logos in the Registry http://www.tokairegistry.com/tokai-info/tokai-fender.html , ie the early thin script-style ?7okai? logo used until 1982 ? the very different logo of 1983 with simple black letters in so-called ?Block logo?, and later logos etc.

Of course the name on the headstock is only a start ? you also need to be able identify correct original fittings inc. pickups, bridge, tuners etc?. but a Search of this Forum will give the answers to all or those questions.

Ian.

Also, Silver Stars were only made for the Japanese market. They were never inteneded to be exported to other countries.

Ned

Back