• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB :-) ceriatone 18 watt TMB or Like?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah, there seems to be a big omission in the range. No reverb = no good, as far as I'm concerned. Shame. :(

Dennis Cornell has a big advantage for me - he's a fairly short drive away to the seaside!

Min is being shipped in 2 weeks! I got the 18w TMB and I had Nik add a VVR and Effects Loop onto mine :D With the VVR it will now be like a Egnater where I can go from 1 to 18 watts...perfect for the bedroom and loud enough to jam and gig :wink: It is worth the extra cost for those 2 important features IMO.

Udo, who is making your amp? I am confused. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for though....

ALSO Alan, how much was the cab?

Hey Mono

It's a Ceriatone 18w TMB without the housing....much cheaper and shipping is way less. I will make my own cabinet out of real wood and stain it to match my 1972 "Marshall Lead 60" 4x10 Cab with Original Celestion 9384 Greenbacks. :D Match made in heaven

stratman323 said:
Dennis Cornell has a big advantage for me - he's a fairly short drive away to the seaside!

haha, i forget that. none of these guys are handy to me, so it's all much of a muchness for me... :(

and VVR is great, definitely worth having, if mine is anything to go by.

Mono said:
Udo, who is making your amp? I am confused. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for though....

ALSO Alan, how much was the cab?

Ooh, good question. Martin delivered it and said he'd never be doing one at the price I paid again because of how much time it took him (previously he'd gone from doing them himself to having a 3rd party do them, but their quality was slipping so he'd brought it back in-house).

Unloaded it was something like ?165 if memory serves, but I'd still pay more for this level of work. (In fact, the next amp I get will be MJW...)

****UPDATE****

Well! chris finished making the cabinets for me last week,A head cabinet for the EVA hi gain amp and a matching 2 x 12.
All i can say is WOW! Chris is a very talented man indeed and a very good cabinet maker,Thank you chris :D

The two cabinets construction and finish is impeccable,I am very happy and would recommend any of chris"s cabs to anyone looking for a quality cabinet at very resonable prices!!

I am just getting to grips with the amp and having fun dialing in the tones ,it is quite a versitile little amp,nice clean transparent sound and the two pre-amp gains really can push the amp into some serious overdrive....

I put a combination of two weber speakers in the 2 x12,A silver bell ceramic and a blue dog ceramic ,I really wanted one blue dog alnico with the silver bell ....but i could not find one at the price i got the blue dog ceramic...oh well !

P1000511.jpg

P1000510.jpg

P1000509.jpg

Thanks to johnA for recommending chris urr to me..

MOJO HOBO

That`s a really class looking rig ! Pleased it`s all come together so nicely for you !

Killer.

I love the idea of individual controls for the preamp tubes. You have put different brands in there, haven't you Marcus?

wow, very nice! Did you get them to modify the stock model? the ones i've seen on their website don't have twin gain controls or the rhythm/lead switch.

Hi FELLAS,Thanks for all the attention and comments :lol: I am loving having a amp again...still a honeymoon period at moment!!!

@MONO. Cheers ! To be honest i have not touched or even thought about changing the pre-amp valves or power amp output valve yet!! :eek: I am very happy with the sound and the tubes in it at moment,But now you have me thinking ... When i brought it ,i am sure the seller said the pre amp valves where JJs ..they have no markings or the lettering has rubbed off... The power output valve is sovtek el34...I know mullards NOS are favoured by most people as the best sounding,any recommendations Andy!
By the way how is your burny ,did you get any compo back on it from the seller.Did you get the hump fixed yet.. :evil:

@ DAVE MC..Many thanks dave mc..I brought the amp this way from e-bay ,As far as i know it is a very early version of the amp.It might be custom designed or commissioned with that configuration.But as far as i know it was a stock model at the time,CHRIS URR the amps designer never mentioned that it was a custom build.

MOJO HOBO

Areet mojo. Hmm, I am not a tube aficionado whatsoever, but I am determined to only use Great British tubes in my 18w clone to get the real British grunt!!! I'm sure you can't go far wrong. http://thetubestore.com/ has reviews on different gain levels of preamp tubes - go and have a look.

Didn't get any compensation from chingo. I couldn't send it back to Japan because I had already started stripping the nitro with acetone and he probably would've pulled me up on this. Although I don't have an amp at the moment, I have managed to iron out most of the fret buzz and still retained a low action by putting a thin piece of cardboard under the nut... a smart fix if I do say so myself :D

If it proves a problem when the thing is amplified, then I might look into a fretboard level and a refret. Got a quote of ?144 for both (+setup, new nut included) which isn't bad value at all.

First of all I've gotta get my exams out the way and then build the most awesome 18w clone the world has ever seen!! 8)

mojo hobo said:
@ DAVE MC..Many thanks dave mc..I brought the amp this way from e-bay ,As far as i know it is a very early version of the amp.It might be custom designed or commissioned with that configuration.But as far as i know it was a stock model at the time,CHRIS URR the amps designer never mentioned that it was a custom build.

ah, ok, thanks for the info :D

Hi Mono

Nice to see you over on the 18W forum. Just want to reitterate my point that you can build a great 18W from parts sourced in the UK, no need to be paying all the shipping costs associated with importing.

An speaking from experience, buying NOS british valves does very little for tone, but they do cost a fortune and reduce reliability!!

If you are not experienced putting an amp together, even from a kit can be a complicated business, you see a few pre-built 18w EVS's or Ceriatones on ebay UK that are fantastic amps.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, and if you need any advice or help drop me a PM :wink:

^ or just do what i did and get valvepower to make it for you :lol: it's a bit dearer now, but when i got mine the difference in price between getting the kit or getting it fully-made was ?45 (and i'm not even sure if the kit price included postage, so the difference may have been even smaller)...

Back