Why are "DRy Z's" held in such high regard?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok...now I have listened to them all several times and my final verdict is this:

They all rock!!!

The Phantom should be pleased with his arsenal of rock machines :D

@ Frederik
The Phantom thanks you :)
And you have a very good ear.
They are all good and have their own subtleties.
Let's see how others feel

Marcus? Spike.............really Spike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he disappeared

wulf? would love to know what you think
and Jacco hurry up lol

is there anybody out there......................................

*****************The Phantom****************************

All very tasty and sound great Phantom, I would love to hear or see your band some time. I am pretty sure DRY-Z is #4 but a few of the clips are really similar to me. What kind of plexi did you use?

The Freebird is flying high. All those clips sound really nice. I think I liked the J S Moore's most, but they were not in your #1, so these variables make this a tough comparison. Your light weight #1 and Dry Zs sound very very nice. I think the J S Moores had more low end, which I personally liked a lot.

I have to say that i liked #1 labeled as J.S. Moore PAF's the best to my ears, however my speakers in my computer monitor are not really the best. Your playing is very nice however and i'm guessing you could make any pup on any guitar sound pretty good.

Thanks for sending me the clips Dom!
I personaliy like 1 & 4 best. The thicker and more agressive sound of 2 and darker #3 are less desireable to my ears. 4 is almost violin like and has lost of definition, must be Zs.

Thanks guys this is getting very interesting to say the least.
And am happy to say you guys have great ears, and some of you are scary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in a good way lol.

The first 3 are very similar with no 1 being slightly better to my ears. No 4 sounds very similar to ibanez super 58 maxon pickups, which are in a few of my guitars. So by this huge jump of logic I think they are No 4. If they are in number 4 then super 58's are considerably cheaper. I would like to hear a comparison between Dry Z and Super 58 pickups.

Guys I'll post the results in a day or so.

We've lost Marcus and the Spikemeister, they may be out searching for the Phantom's loot ;)

or did the Phantom mix them up
remember what I said
Listen with your ears not your eyes ;)

Its alright for you phantom being able to listen with your eyes as well as your ears !!! you seem to forget that we are mortal beings and have only ears to listen with.

Phantom said:
or did the Phantom mix them up
remember what I said
Listen with your ears not your eyes ;)

For me it all sounds great but unfortunately I forgot one clip as soon as I hear the next one :lol: Never mint because I am a greenhorn and enjoy most the Phantoms words...the phrasing is so funny I could read it for hours :wink:
And I have a suspicion who's behind the Phantom and I am very impressed - but will tell nobody ! Promised !

Phantom.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I like #1 and #2 (More bitey, Jimmy Page like),... #3 and #4 were a bit too smooth/dark for my taste. Still awesome sounding too. Great chops Phantom!

These unknown pups that came in my Navigator are the best I have ever heard.
They were swapped as they should be Seth's (which IMO are the best sounding full production pup on the market).
It looks like they have an ink stamp on them under all that oxidizing but man oh man, that neck pickup is unlike anything I have heard.
I have played Z's and it reminds me of them a lot but unless my memory fails me, this pup is better.
Of course it could be like the PAFs from 58-60 where some were kick *** and others meh.

5906595143_7d2014698d_z.jpg

You must provide the Phantom with an audio clip.
His ears are craving this molten lava tone you speak of.

He awaits...............................

Back