Why are "DRy Z's" held in such high regard?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joop said:
t.olsen said:
Joop,my OBG has no 57's but a pair of Drys as well because I am one of those nutters who bought a pair of Drys :wink: .You can ask Cliff how often I said thank you and this could be a hint how happy I am with the Drys.I like the Drys in my 1200 because of the fatter neck and she is almost half a kilo heavier as the OBG.If you compare both guitars the Greco has more pressure and power while the OBG sound is thinner.Perhaps I should try 11' strings for the OBG and stay with 10's for the Greco.I have not enough experience to describe exactly the tone and not played enough different pickups neither but for me it just sounds great and better than other PUs I tried with the same guitars.Very detailed and if needed very powerful.

Timo,

If you put 11's on your ObG you'll build up enough mussle, you can give up your gym membership. And then, before you know it, you have saved enough money to buy another guitar :lol:

Regards,

Joop

I gave up the gym membership more than 12 years ago and so I have to go on as before : sell some crap for new gear or torture my wife long enough... :lol:

merlin17 said:
Are the Dry-Zs different neck and bridge?
Or do I just put the hotter one at the bridge?

Thanx,

I would say ..YES,put the hotter one at the bridge

Did some sets of DRY-Zs come out-of-phase from the factory?
My set is, and it looks original and untouched...

Can anybody with Zs check polarity for me? N or S up?
Thanx!

I checked again. The magnets are oriented the same way on both PUPS (N on the screw side), so it seems one is wired reverse or the braided wire is installed out of phase...

mine are out of phase ,don't know if they came like that originally...

Maybe mine came out of an 1800 and were custom ordered with the PG mod? Just speculating, they look absolutely untouched...
I think I'll use them like they are, the middle position is SOOO versatile, just got to get used to it...

Check this out :

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Maxon-DRY-Z-PAF-Humbucker-Pickup-Greco-Tokia-7-2-Ohm-Tone-Monster-MIJ-/270889890597?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item3f124bb325

400 usd for one Dry Z PU...

Came in Grecos , Tokia and other highline guitars of the 70's...
:lol:

That's the latest Dry Z I've ever seen!
And with brass baseplate and black plastic wire!! We know this can't come from a EG model for they swithced to Dry 1982s very early 1982, what guitar does it come from?

Looks suspect to me.
Never seen a Dry-Z with black plastic wire.
Brass baseplate, which would be from a high end Custom Greco, with swapped nickel covers...
I would stay away.

He says he pulled it from a Conrad guitar with another Maxon pickup, so not original to that guitar. I also found Super 58 with the Z stamp, not a brass baseplate though.

We'll the Phantom bit the bullet. Dry Z's are on the way. It will be interesting to finally hear what all the fuss is about. I've got at least over 20 different manufacturers I use to compare to. With at least 4 of them being my top picks. It's time for a shootout!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phantom

Phantom said:
We'll the Phantom bit the bullet. Dry Z's are on the way.

Nice,where did the Phantom find a pair ? I am curious to hear his opinion about the Drys.

Special thanks to Hunter.
And yes looking forward to comparing.
Will let you guys know

Phantom

and I've infected another with the "3rd person"
The Phantom is stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am already infected a little longer :lol: I always take care for the 3rd person when it comes to the Phantom ! :wink:

Back