Which one of the Love Rocks for pickup test platform?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyH

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This question might sound weird to you but I want to buy a best possible (to my budget) LP guitar to use as a pickup testbed and a demo unit.

I am currently thinking a budget of around 1100-1500? in Japan (upto about USD2050). What would be the best bang for my money when comparing to Gibsons? LC200?

Thank you.

I expect you will be testing humbuckers, and PAF in particular so my choices would be a "standard" model rather than a "custom" one.

LS150 or LS160 - burst or gold top - that should get you a good audience from the search engines.

Hi, thanks for your reply. 8)

Humbuckers obviously but PAF's... hmmm... not particulary but sometimes yes.

May I ask why would you choose LS rather than LC? Brighter materials used than all mahogany LC's? Because of the PAF's?

I was browsing Kurosawa's store and I noticed also HLS240SF and HLS245SQ would fit my budget. But the site is in japanese, so I cannot figure out what the specs are. What is HLS compared to LS?

I am not entirely sure about the HLS thing.

I would pick a standard over a custom because of the rosewood board, it is a bit more aggressive. Funnily enough I am in the process of changing pickups in mine, I had a pair of UK made scatterwound humbuckers with a hot bridge and PAF neck with cover for that Jimmy Page look and sound.

Diamond said:
TonyH said:
Hi guys,
What would be the best bang for my money when comparing to Gibsons?

Vintage Series LS92/95.
Thanks.

What Gibson lines do LS9x and LS150/160 -series best compare to?

The only Tokai I've ever played is my ALS48, with LC85 hardware + Gibson tuners, which I do like. So I have no idea how the higher end models generally sound and feel compared to G's. And I have very little chance to try them out so I have to rely on forum recommendations.

It seems that I can get LS-160 VF locally and it fits my budget nicely. No sense in ordering one from Japan as possible savings are negligible. Specs seem quite ok to me. Also LS85, LC85, LS90Q are available but price difference to LS160 is not significant to me (about 25% but in euros not that much, its relative of course).

HLS series have some different features than regular LS as a more real and thinner finish, a lower neck body angle , regular are 4,5 and more selected woods. Pickups are also different. These series are rare and limited made by Tokai and sold through Hibiki company only. I am sure will be collectable in future among Tokai fans.

looktoyourorb said:
I lost track a bit on the current catalogue...

Do they offer these in Gold Top finish, and maybe P90?

I just got these in...2014 models.

LS165S P90 GT.

1977174_739470332750174_3541727926702091673_n.jpg

10252048_739470276083513_4744871263791848584_n.jpg

LS98S P90 GT.

1902716_746975478666326_6933030461223749899_n.jpg

TonyH said:
Diamond said:
TonyH said:
Hi guys,
What would be the best bang for my money when comparing to Gibsons?

Vintage Series LS92/95.
Thanks.

What Gibson lines do LS9x and LS150/160 -series best compare to?

The LS95 model is a solid mahogany body, solid maple top, medium/long neck tenon, ABR-1 bridge...ultra thin poly finish.
GLP Standards have a chambered body, a Nashville bridge, short neck tenon, nitro finish.
You choose which specs you prefer...

The LS150/160 are G Custom shop specs with one difference, no fret edge binding.

Diamond said:
The LS95 model is a solid mahogany body
Ok, nevermind. The LS95 is not imported here and I see the only example I can find at Kurosawas for 600? + freight + customs.

Diamond said:
The LS150/160 are G Custom shop specs with one difference, no fret edge binding.
Do you mean its not like this?

GibsonFRETS_1.jpg

If yes then its just a positive thing for me ;) I have no problem with polished, normal fret endings.

Correct, even Gibson is now giving up on fret binding.

To answer you question about equivalent guitars:

LS98 = Gibson LP standard plain top (minus the nitro and chambering)
LS160 = Gibson R8

You will see from my signature I have both brands and like them both, however it takes less time to find a good Tokai.

I returned the last Gibbo I bought unseen (from a UK shop) - they agreed with me that it was a ?899 used guitar that was truly unplayable.

Thanks! Now its easier for me to position them in my mind. 8)

I think I will pay the local store a visit and give the LS160VF a try.

BTW. I searched "violin finish" and got 152 pages of threads but first 10 pages didn't have any obvious threads which would tell me what it means. Google picture search shows few different burst colors. Our local guitar shop pages say its just a color? Please explain what it means. Thank you.

****, just got a message from the store. They are expecting guitars with brown sunburst -color instead of VF so their website was not up to date.

Not so sure about the brown though. Mainly because I already have two brown burst colored quitars (ES and a Dobro) + two black LP's. I would prefer something a bit lighter color.

BTW. what is the "live performance series" compared to standard LS-series?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-Tokai-HLS160-HLS-160-Love-Rock-High-End-Made-in-Japan-Long-tenon-case-771-/131180230567?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e8af377a7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tokai-Love-Rock-HLS160Q-VF-Electric-Guitar-International-Shipping-w-gigbag-4-16-/321380676536?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ad3c7f3b8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-MINT-Tokai-LS-150-Modified-World-Wide-Shipping-/321392362707?pt=Guitar&hash=item4ad47a44d3

Back