What is the year of this lovely Tokai Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mude

Reaction score
Hello,

Im about to buy a Tokai Fender copy.

All info i can get this item is:
www.webcraft.fi/tokai.jpg
Picture of yellow'ish guitar with orange/brownish pickup cover and maple neck. Head stock is similar than 1984's on the dating/ id page.

Text says: TOKAI GOLDSTAR SOUND 013691

Could someone identify this?
And What this fine guitar might be worth?

Thank you for letting me in :)

-M

Sorry, without other pics - no. The serial is useless, and if it looks like the 1984 logo then it's 1984 and onwards. More pics please, and make them bigger!

Edit: It's been modified too, so in order to work out the extent of that you'd need photos from inside it too - back of the pickups, control cavities etc. Unless you're buying it because it looks nice, then I wouldn't even consider it unless they could provide you with this stuff - you've no idea how much it's worth until it's identified. What are they asking for it?

It's from a pawn shop auction. Starting bid is 260 eur.
I can't get more pics, but this is bigger version of the one i have.

http://www.webcraft.fi/tokai2.jpg

I was thinking about the body and it's material. I have great warmoth neck without a good body & parts.

Tokai necks are gorgeous so unless you have a problem with the one on there, there's no point replacing it.

As far as parts and the body are concerned: from the pic, the pickguard and bridge pickup have been changed; nothing else confirms whether the body is even a Tokai one or what other modifications have been made. (We've seen more than our fair share of swimming pool routs on Tokais hidden by the scratchplate, or bodies which weren't anything to do with Tokai attached to a Tokai neck, or guitars just badged with a Tokai decal).

Unless it's identifiable you have no idea which model (or year) it is, so I'd advise you to not even bother at 260 EUR. A good early Goldie can be picked up for ?300/350 EUR if you're patient, and should be identifiable by year, and confirmed to be all original - a much better investment all round!

Ok, might be better to find another one
. Thank you for your effort!

-m

It has two string trees - a Goldie should only have one. It's possible that it's a Goldie neck with an extra string tree added. Or it's possible that it's a neck with 2 string trees & a Goldstar decal added later - from that one pic, who knows?

It would be nice to know where you are too, so please add your location to your profile.

Mike

Latest posts

Back