Want to buy a Tokai, help educate me!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastRedPonyCar

Reaction score
ok I'm in the market for a nice les paul and for the last oh... 12 years, I've played various gibsons of all price tags on countless store walls and only a couple of them I actually liked but unfortuately, they happened to be the highest end ones :roll:

common sense tells me that there is definately a point of diminishing returns when it comes to buying anything and $3000 for a guitar is beyond that limit for me.

so after doing more research over the last 9 or 10 months, I've turned my attention to the Japanese les pauls. Edwards, burney, tokai, etc I've read nothing but excellent reviews.

the reason I'm here is becuase of those reviews, it seems like everyone likes the tokai's the best. Seems that even their entry level love rocks rival the $2000+ Gibsons.

anyways, as I've been researching these things and browsing this forum, I see there are fakes (apparently good ones).

I'm here hoping that you guys can help me out with a couple of questions.

Right now, all I'm going off of is the descriptions of the EBAY auctions for the Tokais and the prices they're asking for the new ones (not including shipping)

- What are the main construction differences between the LS90 and LS100?

- Is the only difference between the LS100 and LS160 the long tenon neck construction?

Basically I've got a couple of ways I'm viewing this purchasing decision and the primary one is what construction or build feature puts that extra $600 premium on the LS160 over the ls90?

Second, assuming that if there are hardware or wiring/pot/capacitor differences between the LS90 and the higher end models, if I upgrade those (IF it's needed) is there any difference then between the lower end Loverocks or not with aspect to the hardware?

Basically, I'm wanting to know that if I get an LS90 (or LS100) what will I miss out on vs the much more expensive LS160 and more expensive models?

ALSO, to avoid buying a fake Tokai, who is a reputable dealer outside of the ebay realm if needed that I can buy from?

I'm particularly interested in the LS95F. It seems to be priced at a price I can afford, looks great on the tokai.de site and I've read a lot of great things about it. I'm just worried that for that extra $600 for the LS135 or 160, I can get a much better guitar. I've never heard of a flamed sycamore + maple top... just maple. should this affect my decision or is it ok?

If this should be avoided, I'm digging the black LS85 as well but it still has a maple top under the paint... are there any ALL mahogany models?

Sorry for the long post but it seems that there is a lot to learn about these things and I want my money to buy the best possible with the budget of roughly $1200~ish to work with and if there are simply must have features on the more expensive models that offer a real tangible benefit to me.

thanks for any help guys
________
JAGUAR XJR-12

Are you after a flame top? The 95F is a flame top but it is a very thin veneer over a 2 piece maple top and poly finish, the 135F is also a flame veneer over a 2 piece top but it has a long tenon and nitro finish as` well as a brass saddle bridge and aluminum stop tail As far as i am concerned the LS-90 is the best value of the new models, it is a plain top and poly finish and has the shorter tenon but the build quality is the same, so are the pickups and controls, it has the standard bridge and tailpiece, same as the 95f but 5000 yen cheaper. Basically once you get over the 100 models the hardware is slightly better {bridge and tail piece} and the long tenon and nitro finish.
In the latest Tokai Japan catalogue they have the plain top LS-150, this has CTS pots, switchcraft switch, aluminium tailpiece, brass saddles, 1 piece back and nitro finish, this guitar is obviously more expensive but has all the good gear and is also very good value.

Mick

thanks for the info. I decided to just pay the extra $$ and get this one. I'm in love with the look

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380138066149&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I haven't paid for it yet as the $$ is trasnferring into my bank account so if this is not a legit tokai or not a trustworthy seller, I have 4 days to back out of this as long as I feel I have a justifiable excuse to back out (which I really don't want to HAVE to do as I don't want to be a deadbeat buyer) but obviously if it's not legit, I won't feel bad about it.
________
IOLITE REVIEW

That is a nice guitar, the seller is well known so you should have no problems at all. It is a great weight as well, good buy, looks brand new.
The majority of the "fakes" are in Canada, the odd one pops up now and again in the US and Europe.

Mick

Totally legit, and you've made a great choice there!! That's a lot of guitar for not a lot of cash, you will love it!! paying that bit more over the LS90 will be more than worth it.

Nice purchase! :D

Well done. You won't regret it. Yours is the more "Up-market" version of my LS-75F / 85F:

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy64/GrahamH65/PICT0248-1.jpg

Either would have been a good choice. Look after it and you won't even have to worry about depreciation.

Let us know your thoughts once it arrives! I'll look forward to your review.

FastRedPonyCar said:
thanks for the info. I decided to just pay the extra $$ and get this one. I'm in love with the look

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380138066149&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:US:1123

I haven't paid for it yet as the $$ is trasnferring into my bank account so if this is not a legit tokai or not a trustworthy seller, I have 4 days to back out of this as long as I feel I have a justifiable excuse to back out (which I really don't want to HAVE to do as I don't want to be a deadbeat buyer) but obviously if it's not legit, I won't feel bad about it.

You just bought an LP Historic for $1300. :)

I'd say that's a VERY VERY GOOD PURCHASE.

Beautiful guitar...all the best.

thanks for the reassurance guys. makes me more confident about the purchase. Hopefully the deposit/transfer from friday will be cleared today so I can get this guy the payment and get this in my hands.

BTW, their PAF pickups they put in this, are they a proprietary Tokai design or are they re-labled mainstream pickups like dimarzios or duncans?

Also, how are their output and any specs like resistance or magnet (alnico II I'm guessing?)
________
Tl1000R

The MK II pickups are made by Gotoh, I think they are Alnico II's and normally measure 8.5 bridge & 7.5 neck, or thereabouts, not quite as authentic sounding as some more 'boutique' pickups, perhaps a bit more modern, but great pickups all the same.

I've got a bareknuckles nailbomb I might drop in but it's an antiqued nickle plate finish that I would either have to attempt to polish back up to match what's in the thing already or just order another bareknuckle pickup with the matching antique nickle cover. ... but I'm fearing that if I have to do that I'd need to get an aged pickguard, tailpiece and bridge and I don't know how hard those are to come by... but the good news IMO is that the stain/burst would lend itself very well to antiqued hardware.
________
Herbal Vaporizers

If a guitar sounds like this, why change anything?

Adjusting the volume control is liking changing pickups. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Upj_QPV8Kw&feature=related

Back