UNIVOX LP on eBay..... Take a look... You really have to...!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great! :lol: What a laff! And so sad at the same time.

Besides the price the guy wants, it's a shame what he did to that great flame top early LP copy. That was the best LP copy Univox ever made. How much of the body did that guy hack away to install effects? Ouch.

$250,000?

I thought I misread that - Have I missed the point? Someone tell me that's a joke.

How much is a bog standard univox worth?

bruceboomstick said:
How much is a bog standard univox worth?

I have a collection of about 12 Univox's - two of which are the standard Les Pauls (Univox called them the Gimme model). Inexpensive with bolt on necks but the detail is incredible. Bound neck and headstock, flamey tops and awesome sounding stock, open face but clear plastic covered pickups. Same pickups they put in their Hi Flyer Mosrite knock offs. The Gimme's can be had for around $250 and up.

Go to univox.org and you can get the history on them and pretty good photos of all of the models. They were around from the late 60's thru the mid 70's.

I have a Univox Limited Edition Les Paul Junior (set neck) with a pair of stock P90's in it.....won't ever part with this one. The tone is killer.

Marcus

First time I saw it, I just looked at the guitar, not the starting price, thought it looked OK (but with plenty of bell's & whistles). When I saw the asking price and the postage price, I couldn't believe it! Even the postage cost is way too much for the Guitar itself IMO...

Some people just astound me in their stupid quest for (mo') money...

Just for fun.

If you had a spare $250,000 would you buy this?

I have absolutly no idea of what that sort of money could buy in guitar terms - but I'm pretty sure you could get one of Clapton's lesser known ones for that kind of wedge.

Me if I were spending 250,000 I'd buy a couple really nice guitars and one of those Aston Martin carry cases to lug them around in. :D

Go to univox.org and you can get the history on them and pretty good photos of all of the models. They were around from the late 60's thru the mid 70's.

Nice site that - I must say I keep coming across the Univox brand in some older guitar books I have around.

If you had a spare $250,000 would you buy this?

No.

I must say I keep coming across the Univox brand in some older guitar books I have around.

In the US at least, they were about the most popular MIJ "copies" brand in the early 70s. Then Ibanez caught up and passed them in the mid 70s in terms of quality and popularity, which of course caught the eyes of Gibson and their lawyers. At least that's how I remember it sitting in the Midwest.

[/quote]
Nice site that - I must say I keep coming across the Univox brand in some older guitar books I have around.[/quote]

I'll try to post some photos of the dozen Uni's that I have for you guys. They are really a bargain for what you get. Univox also produced mighty fine tube amps and heads. Jeff Beck endorsed them for quite some time.

Pull up Univox guitars on eBay and you can get a peek at what's out there. Keep your eyes open for the Limited Edition Les Paul Juniors. They came in TV yellow and cherry finishes....they're hard to find but seriously worth buying. So is the Barney Kessel hollow body. Their 70's Strat model (think it was the Ripper) had 3 factory humbuckers and is an absolute tone beast.

The Mosrite copy Hi Flyers are going for about $450 now - partly due to Curt Kobain playing and recording with them. They came with humbuckers or P90's....both sound great.

Univox was one of the first Japanese brands to produce good knock offs of their American counter parts.

On the forum where I found this link, one of the guys has been in touch with the seller, stringing him on somewhat. How the seller didn't see through the correspondence is beyond me, as the guy who was sending them deliberately made loads of errors, but the seller was taking it seriously!

Cruel, but seriously funny at the same time...

I'll try to post some photos of the dozen Uni's that I have for you guys. ... Keep your eyes open for the Limited Edition Les Paul Juniors. They came in TV yellow and cherry finishes....they're hard to find but seriously worth buying. So is the Barney Kessel hollow body. Their 70's Strat model (think it was the Ripper) had 3 factory humbuckers and is an absolute tone beast.

I would love to see your Uni's. My first decent guitar was a black Gimme. It so happens that I have a Univox Barney Kessel copy. For those unfamiliar, it looks like this:

barneykessel_red.jpg

I did babysit one of those Univox LP Jr for a while, loved it, and was unhappy when I had to return it to my High School buddy (he had borrowed some money from me and gave me the LP Jr for collateral).

Latest posts

Back