UK LS-80, is it good ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mobaladje said:
Thanks for the answers.
I can have a LS 90 directly from Japan for the same price. Should I prefer this option ?

My advice and opinion, for what it's worth.

The LS90 is the best guitar in the range, value for money it cannot be beaten, it's not good, it's exceptionally good.

Considering you're in France, I'd buy it from richtone if I was you...it's a better deal and you get the support that comes with the sale....IMO

Diamond, is there any difference between the 90 and 100Q other than the quilted veneer top? If not, then I say yes, buy it now!

Thanks Mick, raises another question about veneer. I'll start a new post, though it's prolly been asked already :-? .

Axchisler said:
Diamond, is there any difference between the 90 and 100Q other than the quilted veneer top? If not, then I say yes, buy it now!

Well, as Mick says the 100 is the quilted veneer.

However, depending on how you order/buy your guitar, some of the LS90 come with MK3 pickups, and the 100Q with MK2 pickups.
Having said that, in the latest catalogue, all models up to the LS150, including the LS85 and 90 now come with MK2 pickups.

All I can say about the MK2 pups is, buy some spares to keep locked away somewhere, they're that good.

Hi Diamond , thats interesting about the MK3's, i have catalogues with these guitars from when they were LS-75'q and ls-70f and they all had MK2's. I really like the MK2 neck pickup but the bridge is a bit bright, i have a set of MK1's as well, thet seemed a bit bright as well but i can't be too sure with that as they were in my LS-180 and it has an ebony board so that may increase the brightness, i'll have to try them in another LP and see..
Your website is looking good, i found a pic of my 180 on there too... :p

Mick

="Diamond
All I can say about the MK2 pups is, buy some spares to keep locked away somewhere, they're that good.

Sweet! I just bought a pair from "Big Willie Style" for my koa top and they sound great!

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Diamond , thats interesting about the MK3's, i have catalogues with these guitars from when they were LS-75'q and ls-70f and they all had MK2's. I really like the MK2 neck pickup but the bridge is a bit bright, i have a set of MK1's as well, thet seemed a bit bright as well but i can't be too sure with that as they were in my LS-180 and it has an ebony board so that may increase the brightness, i'll have to try them in another LP and see..

Mick

Hey Mick,
Strangely enough they are still brighter in my koa than the 100Q. To my ears my 100Q is the sweetest sounding LP I've ever heard, woods maybe, I feel very lucky to have found it. I really wanted the koa CS to sound better to my ears. It's really good, but the Q is outsanding!

Might I suggest you try 250K pots with the ebony board. All my Jacksons w ebony come with CTS 250K's that bleed off some highs, guess they new they were too bright. :-?

hey if your interested im selling my ls90Q for ?550 which i have had imported from japan, if interested i can supply pics and more info

Diamond said:
However, depending on how you order/buy your guitar, some of the LS90 come with MK3 pickups, and the 100Q with MK2 pickups.
Having said that, in the latest catalogue, all models up to the LS150, including the LS85 and 90 now come with MK2 pickups.

I agree with you, I have 3 keiyo MKII sets (metal braided wires) and 2 Gotoh MKIII sets (green an yellow wires) as spares!!!

leadguitar_323 said:

Mick

loool, Mick...did I use a pic of your guitar...geeez, sorry about that...better late than never, do I have your permission? :)
If you see anything on the site that might not be Kosher please let me know, I went ahead pretty quickly and might need some editing.

In my catalogue 23 I see the LS85 and 90 with MK3, and in catalogue 24 only MK2 all the way through.

In my catalogue 23 I see the LS85 and 90 with MK3, and in catalogue 24 only MK2 all the way through.

Thats odd, i have the 2000 catalogue when these guitars were just ls-70f and ls75q and they had MK2's then, i have never seen one with MK3's. No problems with the pics mate :wink:

Mick

I agree, I've always seen mk2 in the Tokai catalogs.
But I "suppose" that the mk3 are those Gotoh with the green (front) and the yellow (rear) wires, with a sticker on the back writen LP-F or LP-A (I have both) which were stock in the lower LS and SG range (65 to 85) during the mids 2000

Latest posts

Back