Tokai truss rod adjusters - when did they change?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

As part of trying to date my Breezy, I have been checking up on the truss rod adjusters that Tokai used in their Strats & Teles in the 80s. At some point they changed from a hex adjuster to a cross head adjuster, but when?

I have checked out 3 guitars I know are from 1980, & they all have the hex type:

129_2940.jpg

I have checked out several Goldstars from 1984/85, and they all have the cross head type:

125_2569.jpg

So when did they change? Well, 1981, 82 or 83, I would assume. Could owners of Springys & Breezys from 1981, 82 or 83 (& block decal Goldstars from late 1983) please let us know which type of adjuster they have? We should be able to narrow it down this way.

The block decal guitars would be a good place to start, as we know these are from 1983, so if you have a block decal Springy or Goldie, please let us know - hex or cross head?

Mike

hi
just got my first tokai :D :D :D
the st 50 with rosewood board ....with 7okai logo
it has body date 6=4 ,,, neck date 5=7 and serial 0012025
and has hex adjuster
all the best
otto

hi
got the all black st 60 today .... it look original ... but no number on the neck becourse the black paint :cry: ...
but it has the number 3=11 BB Z in the control cavity ..... and has the serial L02897 ... 7okai logo .... cross head adjuster... and the later style tremolo ..... all the best
otto

Thanks Otto, it would be helpful if we could date your black guitar, but it's hard to say for sure with that one. Most things point to 1981 or 82, but it would be nice to have some examples from other members, so we can pinpoint when this quite fundamental change was made.

Anyone else?

HI
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING AT THE TOKAI IN THE REGISTER ,,, AND FOUND A GOLDSTAR WITH SERIAL L01030 AND L03705 AND SPRINGY WITH SERIAL L00127 TO L04537 ...... MAYBE YOU CAN USE THAT :D :D :D
OTTO

The problem with the L serial numbers is that they don't indicate the date of manufacture. The earlier Springy & Breezy serial numbers do - a Springy with a 7 digit number beginning 00 is a 1980. But the L numbers were merely copies of the numbers Fender used in 1964, so they are of no real help to us.

hunter said:
Mike, here is my te60RR from 1982 serial no.L02005 with 7okai logo

Ah, great! As early as 1982? Does your Springy have the FINAL PROSPEC bridge saddles, & steel trem block? And how can you be sure that it's 1982?

Mike,sorry...its a breezy rosewood and was dated by togps on a recent thread.apparently he has two of them and were only made for a limited time.Hope that helps :D

OK, that helps a lot. Does yours have the FINAL PROSPEC stamped bridge saddles?

Sorry, I didn't read what you said properly, I was thinking Springy not Breezy.

Does anyone have a Springy from 1981 or 1982? I'm now wondering if they changed the truss rod when they changed to FINAL PROSPEC saddles & steel trem block. I guess it would make sense - the Tokai Fender clones did gradually get more "vintage correct" in the early 80s.

It certainly does help Mick, it means that the change took place earlier than I had thought. How do you know it's from 1981? From the serial number?

Hi Mike, it has a 7 digit serial starting with 1, it was also advertised as a 1981 and somewhere on this site it is in a catalogue as well, i don't think there were too many ST-70's made...

Mick

No you're right, I don't recall seeing any other ST70s. OK, well the serial number seems to confirm the year, I guess it must have been 1982 when the L serial numbers started, & accurate dating became much harder.

Well that's an interesting theory of mine blown out of the water by Mick! My RW board ST80 is late 1980 (as the earlier ones had the skunk stripe/headstock plug, & the 8 hole scratchplate), so it seems that the truss rod changed either very very late 1980 or sometime in 1981.

I reckon pinpointing that is a bit of a result, even if it doesn't help to ID my new Breezy. So we now have a new Tokai fact to remember, which can't be a bad thing. Cheers Mick - I was a bit surprised when you bought that Springy, but I'm glad you did!

8)

Because I assumed you were a hard-core LP player, like your mate Oze. And I seem to recall that you were a little unsure about having a Strat when you first got it.

It's all good though. I had no intention of buying an LP of any kind when I joined this forum to find out more about the mysterious Springy Sound guitars I had heard about. Now I have 2 Love Rocks! It's nice to try something different for a change.

Actually because the sound of these springy's is so authentic it is a pleasure to play, the one difference i have noticed so far is that they are a completely different animal when it comes to amps and amp settings, i love the guitar though and it is very light.

Mick

Latest posts

Back