Tokai Steel Trem Block versus Zinc - replacement Trem Arm?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barks67

Reaction score
Hi all,

I need a replacement tremolo arm for an original Tokai Steel Block circa 1987.

...a little back story.

I removed the original tremolo/bridge on my 1987 Goldstar ST50 in the mid 90's due to corrosion etc (this guitar was "hammered" over 4 years constant touring with The Pretty Things) and the wear on the saddles was causing string breaks too easily.

I replaced it with a Gotoh one that has done me well since - though I kind of fell out of love with the guitar as the Telecaster became my Number One.

Recently I have been reading about the steel verses zinc blocks.
I had "assumed" that the replacement Gotoh was steel too - but was surprised to find it is zinc - so I swapped the Tokai steel block back and bolted it to the Gotoh top plate and saddles and reinstalled.

I now see why I lost interest in the guitar - there is life back in it with more noticeable upper harmonics, even acoustically!

Only problem is the Gotoh Trem Arm has a smaller diameter it seems and does not screw in.

Any suggestions?

...and sorry for the slightly convoluted post, but felt it good to report my observations re steel/zinc.

cheers

Barks

hi there is a bloke who uses the name harley on a site called charlie hall and friends. he will make you a new block for about ?25.00 plus post. all you do is send him your old one and he copy`s it exactly using proper steel i think cold rolled steel, and it does make a differents. harrison

Back