Tokai ST-55n info needed...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
XLarge said:
However better than Greco Strat guitars.
I have seen recently a Sunburst Greco strat body in six pieces..... :cry:

I don't think Tokai used more than three pieces, my AST-40 which is a budget model has a three piece body.

Mike

helge_e21 said:
i've seen a tokai with a 4 piece body...

Do you know what model it was? I suspect the cheaper korean models could have bodies made of many pieces. I've never seen a japan made strat or tele body with more than three pieces but I guess it might have been used for the low end models.

Mike

Hi, Mike and other guys interested in this point
Let me talk all I know:
I said ST-50 had a 2-piece body, but this can only be the case of "Springy" guitars up to 1982. So I'm not sure about the "Goldstar" or TST models.
TST-50 having a 3-piece body.. mmmmmm... it might be true.
In mid 80's, we had a rumore in Japan, and it said, "Tokai invested so big momey in development and mass production preparation of the "Talbo" guitars. They especiall spent huge money for the aluminum body production line. But actually, Talbo sells so bad, and it affects the other Tokai guitars, making the qualities worse and worse."
As a matter of fact, you may know, Tokai went de facto bankruptcy soon after marketing of Talbo. For this aluminum guitar, they spent all money gotten from successful sales of Springy and LS Reborn.
As far as I know, and as far as "Springy" up to 82 (before Talbo development started) is concerned, ST-50 had a center-joined 2-piece body.

Cybercat gives us an interesting report below (Sorry I don't know how to use the quotation box)
His 1980 ST-60's rosewood neck has a skunk stripe. I've thought that rosewood necks with trussrod stripes behind were only made up to 1979. So possibly his guitar's parts were made in late 79 and built up in early 80. Cybercat, will you let us know the serial number of your ST-60, if you don't mind?

Thanks,
Shinjiro or S-Blues[/quote]

Hi Shinjiro,
- sure, glad to, it's 0010550.

Actually the seller kept saying it was "1979, stroke 80" when I was negotiating to buy (took 3 attempts over several months before he finally sold it to me), but with the "001...." beginning of the serial number, I just assumed it was from 1980, ...so maybe not, eh?

Anyway, I put up a little gallery/slideshow of 4 pics of showing the numbers, skunk stripe, rosewood fingerboard etc., & of her "in action", you can see it here: -

http://web.mac.com/cybercat/iWeb/Site/Photos.html

Cheers!

Hi, Bill
Thanks. And I'm sorry for late reply.
I'm sure she was born in 1980. The first (leftmost) digit is 0 out of 1980. (If it's 9, it's 79 and 1, 81)
My late 1980 ST-60 (maple neck) has a serial number of 0016012. So I have simply believed that Tokai used neck joint plates having the same series of numbers for both ST and TE and mine was the 16012nd Fender clone guitar Tokai made in 1980. But this may be wrong. Tell me, do first three digits "001" indicate a Springy in 1980? For TE (Telecaster clone), did they use another series of numbers, say, like "002xxxxx"?
For your info, my 1979 ST60 (rosewood fingerboard + skunk stripe) and 1979 ST80 (maple) came with numbers of 9006448 and 9004427.
If what I've beliedved is right, your ST60 was made as the 10550th Fender clone guitar in 1980 and it was the second half of 1980, and in this case, Tokai made many rosewood necks with skunk stripes still in 1980. If I'm wrong and 0010550 shows the 550th Springy from 1980, then she was surely born in early 80.
Anyway I have to strudy up on much more about Tokai, especially their way of serial number giving.
Sorry this cofuses you more.
Shinjiro

Hi Shinjiro,

The way I've always understood it, serial numbers of guitars of this era (around 1978 - 1982?) seem unrelated to whether the guitar is a Springy, Breezy or even Les Paul Reborn, Love Rock etc.
The initial number, as you stated, should be the year. 2nd number always seems to be zero. The 3rd number (usually always 1 or 2*) is the production run number, not related to the number of the guitar itself per se.

*I've seen a few with the 3rd number as an "0", however, & am not sure what this denotes. If anyone can chime in with definitive info, please do!

So 901XXX should be a guitar from the first production run of 1979, early in the year. 102XXX from the 2nd production run of 1981, late in the year. As for an ST-80 numbered 0010550 *definitely* being the exact 550th guitar built in the first production run in early 1980, I think that's prolly a little too fanciful : -

From what I understand of production methods at Fender in the pre-CBS days, from people who were there at the time, the neck plates for any particular production run were kept in a large box or barrel, usually all jumbled up & in no particular order. The worker attaching the neck simply reached in & grabbed one (like a "lucky dip") without any regard for the actual number on it. A guitar made a couple of days or even a couple of weeks after another could easily get a lower number. According to Forrest White, Fender was far more interested in getting guitars out of the door as fast (& cheaply) as possible rather than 'wasting time' anally determining the exact order the guitars were started, or finished in.
Anyway, with their less-than-perfect serial numbering systems & lousy (practically non-existent?) record-keeping, I doubt things were much different at Tokai in the late 70's early 80's. :roll:

re rosewood fingerboard + skunk stripe
1978-1980 Springys do feature this.

Mid of 1980 ....
  • the trussrod were changed in the rosewood fretboard necks.
    the 8 holes-one ply pickguard changed to the correct 11 holes-3 ply pickguard.
    the string trees were changed
(First time documented in the 1981 Tokai catalogue "Flat Top series Vol. 4)

Latest posts

Back