Tokai project

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

javelin70

Reaction score
I just want to let you know about I project I've started. I will build a Tokai MAT strat using either a MAT FRP/rosewood neck or a MAT carbon fiber/ebony neck. I found these necks at a music store and they have never been used! The store had approx. 10 necks and I purchased a couple of them, only one of them was a carbon fiber neck. I don't know how these necks ended up at a store in Sweden and I couldn't get any explanation from the owner. The store had one 1985 neck, the rest of them was from 1986 or possibly newer.

I will use an alder strat body and modify it to accept the MAT neck which has a different neck joint compared to a strat. The back of the body/neck joint will also be modified so it resembles the MAT body (looks like a Valley Arts strat). I will use a Gotoh GE101T strat tremolo (Tokai used Gotoh hardware). I haven't decided on which tuners to use but I have a set of locking Sperzel's with staggered posts. Tokai used Kluson type "Deluxe" tuners on most MAT's except for the cheapest models, they had very basic Gotoh tuners which could also be found on the TST/AST-40 strats.

If you have any ideas for this project, please let me know. It will probably take some time before I start working on it (I'm still collecting parts) but I'll keep you updated.

Mike

If you need parts for this guitar project of your's, then i would recommend that you have a look at the "Boston" catalogue. They have it all, tuners, nuts, necks, buttons, tremolo systems and so on. You might find all you need right there! My father is the importer on these Boston things in Norway. By the way, have a look at the black small tuners on the red and black "Super" Tokai strat from ca 84-85. They are really neat, and look nice! Just as good as the kluson deluxe on the TST's, however more modern looking.

If you need parts for this guitar project of your's, then i would recommend that you have a look at the "Boston" catalogue. They have it all, tuners, nuts, necks, buttons, tremolo systems and so on. You might find all you need right there! My father is the importer on these Boston things in Norway. By the way, have a look at the black small tuners on the red and black "Super" Tokai strat from ca 84-85. They are really neat, and look nice! Just as good as the kluson deluxe on the TST's, however more modern looking.

Well, the plans suddenly changed since Bryan Bridges bought a MAT-451 with a useless neck from "zenriderplayer". I've now bought the MAT from Bryan and will put a new neck on it. I will try the FRP neck first since the ebony fretboard on the carbon fiber neck requires some work. The 451 had the cheap Gotoh tuners also used on the TST/AST-40 strats so I will not use them. Instead I've bought locking Kluson "double line" tuners. I will probably also use a set of Gotoh Performance stacked single coils that I have. The tremolo on the MAT is also the same as on the TST/AST-40 strat, it's cast in one piece and has cast saddles.

Mike

Well, the MAT is now back in action again! 1985 MAT-451, complete body bought from Bryan Bridges, never used 1986 CM-800 carbon fiber neck, new Kluson deluxe locking tuners and also a hotrail humbucker in the bridge position. The guitar is lightweight and has great tone and sustain. I've tried to e-mail a few pictures to Bryan but the e-mail address has been discontinued. I'll post them here instead:

body.jpg

mat.jpg

headstock_front.jpg

headstock_back.jpg

Mike

To me it sounds a lot like an alder strat but with a slightly "warmer" sound. It also feels more alive (more resonant) than a wooden strat which surprises me. Even with the stock ceramic pickups it sounds really good. The neck (unused, from the 80's) has the same type of clear coat as other Tokai's so it doesn't feel any different. The fingerboard is ebony whereas the FRP necks had rosewood fingerboards. The neck radius is 12" I think and the frets are medium jumbo so it feels more like a 60's LP neck maybe. The nut only had three slots cut so I had to cut the remaining three and the neck only had pre-drilled screw holes. It's not that easy to drill screw holes in carbon fiber I can tell you! You also have to make the holes exactly as deep as the screw itself (or deeper of course).

I would like to know how a number of Tokai MAT necks ended up at a small music store in Sweden. The owner doesn't remember where he got them. Most of the necks were unused, some had had tuners mounted, some not.

Mike

Latest posts

Back