• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Tokai LS-70F LP with Duncan Antiquities

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barryj61

Reaction score
I've got PRS GAS again - badly. Unfortunately, something's gotta go out first, and I've finally decided on my 1999 Tokai LS-70F. This is one killer MIJ Les Paul - done in their 'violin' finish with a really thick maple cap. The finish actually looks like nitro! (though it's really just thin, skillfully applied poly). It has one of the richest looking rosewood boards I've seen on any Les Paul by any maker. Back of the neck has been very slightly deglossed - neck profile is on the chunky side. This is a resonant, responsive, lively beast - it's also a hefty beast. One of my friends described it as "10 lbs of get-down!" - actually 10.2 lbs on my scale.

First, the upgrades - the biggest was a set of Seymour Duncan Antiquity humbuckers. These are the vintage PAF in my book (probably should keep them!); clear and articulate, with a nice growl overdriven. Vitamin Q PIO caps were also added - tone controls are very responsive. Also has Schaller straplocks installed; finally, it comes with a TSA-approved SKB case.

One unfortunate finish issue, caused by two bad decisions by a prior owner. There's a Gibson headstock overlay on this one - I'm not a fan of those, but had to admit he did a beautiful job on the clear coat. That is, until he screwed it up by cranking down too hard on the 'D' tuner bushing - causing an 1/4" chunk of the clearcoat to chip off. I think it's a sign (or an opportunity) - what the future owner should really do is take off the rest of that clearcoat and the overlay, and return it to its rightful Tokai glory!

No trades - unless, of course, you might have a player PRS for me. In particular, looking for another McCarty (should have never sold mine!), but might also consider other all mahogany models (Mira, Standards). And yes, I do have some cash to add on top of the Tokai.

Otherwise $899 shipped/Paypalled (US only, please).

Jumbo picture gallery (use the 'zoom' feature to get very close up) - http://picasaweb.google.com/barryj61/Tokai#

P1010014.jpg
[/img]

Back