Tokai Love Rock LS80 vs 85 and LS135

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've done some research and found out that Im gonna go for a new Love Rock. I've recently sold my Gibson Standard so I hope I won't get dissapointed. Anyway, I would hope to get these questions answered:

The model-numbers is quite confusing as they're changing all the time but I think I've found a couple of models which looks interseting.

First the Love Rock LS85F, it looks nice with the flames, even though Im more found of a plain top Les Paul. I couldn't notice that some has the "viloin finish. Anybody care to elaborate what it really is? And whats the difference between that and MF?

I'm considering to go up a notch as well, to LS125 or 135. Are they that much better? Is it worth to use the couple of extra hundreds of dollars to get one piece mahogny back and neck?

The pickup's are going to be changed anyway ;)

Thanks in advanced.

I wouldn't worry about the 2 piece back compared to the 1 piece. It won't make any tone difference and no-one sees it either!

I'd go for the colour and top you like at a price you can afford :)

I can afford both, but obviously I wanna try to spend as little as posssible. unfortunately Im not made of money ;)

Anyway, it's it a big difference between the LS80, and the 85?

And how does these models compare to Gibson? I've heard that 85 etc can be compared with Gibson USA, and 125 etc can be compared with the Custom Shops? Is that true?

Now I only have to decide Goldtop or not ;)

edit: You say now ls135 now LS150. How do I know which stores giving me the old number, and the new number?

Ziggy Stardust said:
You say now ls135 now LS150. How do I know which stores giving me the old number, and the new number?

The model names are a big mess ... very confusing ... 8)

It will be the challenge for you to find it out by comparing the s/n and the manufacturing year ... I guess ... :lol:

Roger

1985 LS80:
20071021lp0003jr9.jpg

I'm a happy owner of a '05 LS-85. I've had it for almost a year now and been doing some upgrading on it. So if you can live with the 2-piece back and the veneer top (no reason not to, in my opinion), you can upgrade the not-so-great parts with quite a little money and get a great guitar and save a little for other things in life.

What I did (and maybe 99% people here) was, I ordered a aluminium tailpiece and Faber kit from a Tokaiforum member togps for about 60 ?. Do a search on "Faber kit" and "Alu STP" and you get the info on those. Then I ordered a set of matched pots and some caps from Singlecoil.com and put those on (actually yesterday, haven't played with a band yet, going to tonight :D) and wired the thing according to the original wiring (or at least closer to it than the stock Tokai wiring). There are other sources as well, but Singlecoil.com was closest to me and in the euro-area so I chose them. I spent about 75 ? on the parts and about 2 hours soldering the kit (I'm not so great at it, the small parts are so difficult...).

The pickups are the same in LS-85 and the next model (LS-125-150) so you have the same situation with both. I tried to replace the stock Gotoh MKII's with Dimarzio Air Classics and even did the coil-splitting option but wasn't so happy with them so I changed the originals back. But as you know there are tons of great options out there.

Where are you from by the way? Is there a shop where you can pick either one or are you going order via internet? What's the price difference?

Ziggy Stardust said:
How do I know which stores giving me the old number, and the new number?

As far as I know, and anyone can correct me here, The model numbers just changed recently, so if you get one that's a 2007 batch or ealier, they should have the old numbering system. The LS-135 will be a plain-top. If it's a new order, the same guitar will be a LS-150.

J.

Hi! If you find the time to read details in this forum you'll see that most of us had Gibsons/Fenders before we went Tokai

It's fairly simple if you play. You will not touch another one again.

If you collect (as I did in the past and still do): STOP IT!

Cheers! Rupert :D

597f7105.jpg

Outsider said:
I'm a happy owner of a '05 LS-85. I've had it for almost a year now and been doing some upgrading on it. So if you can live with the 2-piece back and the veneer top (no reason not to, in my opinion), you can upgrade the not-so-great parts with quite a little money and get a great guitar and save a little for other things in life.

What I did (and maybe 99% people here) was, I ordered a aluminium tailpiece and Faber kit from a Tokaiforum member togps for about 60 ?. Do a search on "Faber kit" and "Alu STP" and you get the info on those. Then I ordered a set of matched pots and some caps from Singlecoil.com and put those on (actually yesterday, haven't played with a band yet, going to tonight :D) and wired the thing according to the original wiring (or at least closer to it than the stock Tokai wiring). There are other sources as well, but Singlecoil.com was closest to me and in the euro-area so I chose them. I spent about 75 ? on the parts and about 2 hours soldering the kit (I'm not so great at it, the small parts are so difficult...).

The pickups are the same in LS-85 and the next model (LS-125-150) so you have the same situation with both. I tried to replace the stock Gotoh MKII's with Dimarzio Air Classics and even did the coil-splitting option but wasn't so happy with them so I changed the originals back. But as you know there are tons of great options out there.

Where are you from by the way? Is there a shop where you can pick either one or are you going order via internet? What's the price difference?

Thanks man!

I'm definitely going to buy myself a Goldtop, but I havent chose if it's gonna be a Gibson or a Tokai yet.

I've always dreamed about a Gibson Les Paul Deluxe from 70-37 (before they changed it to 3 piece maple neck). Unfortunately they cost $4000 bucks from Gbase.com. Which I can't afford.

I got an offer on a mint R6 for $2700. Which looks great, but is it really worth $2000 more than a Tokai?

The problem is that no dealers in Norway have Tokai in stock, I will never be able to try one unless I'm buying it. I can't really say if I would notice that the guitar have a two piece body, and a veneer top. Some part of me says that I would be bothered with it, and if I go for a LS-125/150 I'm allready of the price level of a Gibson :p

I've read that most people change pots etc. I'm not a brilliant solderer, is it really difficult? If I go to a guitar-tech I would literally double the price of the guitar! :lol:

Which upgrades do I need:

If I buy SD p-90's. Do I need to upgrade ALL the electronics?
What about the tuners, the bridge and tailpiece? etc?

Perhaps all the harware? ;)

rgrafend said:
Hi! If you find the time to read details in this forum you'll see that most of us had Gibsons/Fenders before we went Tokai

It's fairly simple if you play. You will not touch another one again.

It's nowhere near as simple as that Rup! There are very few decent nitro finished Tokai Strats and Teles around. There are loads of decent US Fenders.

The generalisation might work with Gibson, but it doesn't with Fender. Let's try to not to get carried away with hyperbole here,

Mike

Ziggy Stardust said:
I've read that most people change pots etc. I'm not a brilliant solderer, is it really difficult? If I go to a guitar-tech I would literally double the price of the guitar! :lol:

Which upgrades do I need:

If I buy SD p-90's. Do I need to upgrade ALL the electronics?
What about the tuners, the bridge and tailpiece? etc?

Perhaps all the harware? ;)

The hardware is fine, no need to change it really. A lightweight tailpiece is the only thing you might want to try to see if you like it or not.

If you're changing pickups, I'd change the pots and caps at the same time. It's a small extra cost (compared to the pickups!) but it makes the job complete. I find good pots and caps add a bit of extra sparkle and clarity to the tone of the guitar, plus they operate more smoothly with a better taper.

Latest posts

Back