Tokai LC85S

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

striker327

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new here and also new to Tokai. I was recently in a guitar store the other day and i came across the Tokai LC85S and I was wondering whether this is a good guitar or not? It was going for about $900 AUD

Thanx,
Mike

The True test is to play it and decide if you think it's a good guitar, but an LC85 is an a great guitar and 900 Aussie $ sounds like a good price!

I wouldn't let the poly thing turn you off, these guitars are awesome value for money and i am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.......good price too.

Mick

Yep. They are poly, but the finish doesn?t feel thick and plastic like on the Epis. Besides, poly doesn?t feel sticky and gummy like Nitro sometimes feel. Of course, if you like how Nitro feels, looks and ages, it?s another thing.

The real test for me is: sounds and feels great? If the answer is positive, then that?s all that matters ;)

hmm actully turns out that its an ALC49 which has a basswood body.. but it played and sounded great. Should I still go for it?

For that money you could do a little better, i would be looking for a mahogany one if it was me, and for 900 bucks you could get a good second hand LC or LS 85 model.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
For that money you could do a little better, i would be looking for a mahogany one if it was me, and for 900 bucks you could get a good second hand LC or LS 85 model.

Mick

+1

You'll get a nice 2nd-hand Japanese model for that sort of money if you are patient, and if you think the ALC49 played and sounded great you will be totally blown away by it's big brother!

really? lol.. I was already amazed at how good this one was.... best LP I have herd and played.. Also I don't know what my chances are of getting an LS or LC because at the store they were going for $1800 AUD.

PS also this seems interesting as well http://www.musicworkshopsydney.com/manufacturer/tokai-guitars

that site states that a LC85 goes for $2,149.00 AUD

striker327 said:
Also I don't know what my chances are of getting an LS or LC because at the store they were going for $1800 AUD.

ebay - why shop anywhere else :wink:

post a link up here first and you'll get some god advice on whether it's a good deal.

There are a few, recent, LS80's sold on ebay UK recently for not much more than ?300! thats just over $600 AUS, there are bargains out there.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tokai-LC85S-Les-Paul-Custom-Electric-Guitar-White_W0QQitemZ270359651647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item270359651647&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1688%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Rich has them, although they are new. Do the sums, freight, duty and GST that will be just over $2000 Aussie, delivered to your door. The figures are based on XE.com numbers which is usually what the bank buys the currency for, not sells it. Reality is a little bit more. Spencer would probably haggle the $150 Aussie difference, anyway.

edit. they have already knocked it down to $1762 Aussie, so they are cheaper to buy here.

$600, for a Japanese Tokai LC landed in Oz.......dreamin' :lol:

The guitar you played is from the latest batch of Chinese guitars, and the quality is even better than the earlier models. Glad you liked it.

mm thanx for that.. but i don't think id be able to afford that as this is apart of my 18th birthday present from my parents :)

PS if i can haggle the ALC49 down to 650 ill definitely take it however, if I can't, then ill be definitely be looking around for an awesome deal on LS or LC models (possibly second hand)

Do you think It would be better to go for an ALS model for the sycamore and alder back rather than the basswood? because I wouldn't want the LP not to last long because of lack of strength in the wood

Striker,

Both the ALS & ALC models are Basswood bodies. There is no risk of them lasting any less than a mahogany guitar.

They are well built guitars. The guitar that you played is part of a small batch that was sent to Tokai Japan. These were inspected, in Japan, by Tokai staff before being sent to Australia. It is guaranteed, not like an ebay deal from the other side of the planet.

Their web price is $737 and they have the ALS for $652.

They may throw in a gig bag. Supporting your local store has some real benefits. The guys at West Ryde are always friendly and helpful. It is a good shop and they know that if they look after you, you will come back as a loyal customer. It is like joining a family with them.

Ask Gino about Dave Leslie, the great guitarist from The Baby Animals. He has a Tokai, not a Japanese model, but he would sound good playing a teachest, broomstick and rope. He used it for a track on their latest album. No modifications, absolutely bone stock. Loves it. Shame he is so strongly connected with handbuilt Grubisa guitars.

Maybe its time to undercut the Tokai dealers in Europe through eBay :evil:

The prices I was talking about were used guitars, definetely the way to go IMO if you want a cheap Japanese Tokai in the UK, not sure how often they pop up in Aus.

As Stratmoto says, there are a lot of benefits to buying locally, you get to play the guitar you are buying, you get set-up support, you get a choice, you don't pay shipping and GST, which can add a lot on to the price of a guitar, and most important you dont get a piece of firewood and a seller that's done a runner!!

The last scenario has happened to me twice buying from overseas :evil:

ahaha thanks heeps guys.. yeh the guy at the store said he'd chuck in a hard case :eek:

geez john that would of been hard to take. My sympathy goes out to you!

PS dam that sucks that they are undercutting them in Europe

Latest posts

Back