tokai goldstar without serial number?!?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinoblues

Reaction score
I was thinkin of buying a Tokai Goldstar second hand until I found out this one don?t have a serial number.The owner doesnt know which year exactly is guitar from but it?s in very good shape.It has Tokai Goldstar Sound Oldies but Goldies writing on the headstock.

I have found few Tokai Golstars and it seems they all have serial numbers on neck plate.Can anyone tell me more about Goldstar serial numbers and is it posible that there?s Goldstars without serials?

Thanks and best wishes

Is it a correct Strat shaped headstock? My guess is the neckplate has been changed, but if you are not sure of the authenticity of the guitar walk away, you could be buying a bitsocaster with a Tokai logo!

Any chance of any pics?

Here are some pictures seller send me.I ask him about serial number and he reply that guitar doesn?t have serial.I ask him about neck plate and he claims that there shouldn?t be any serial number on Goldstars?!?
My guess is if he changed neck plate he would told me so or maybe it was change by previous owner.

Ok....here?s the pictures

http://img62.imageshack.us/i/40573338.jpg/

Beautiful guitar, as good as an AVRI...and I bet you paid one third of the price of a AVRI ?

JohnA - are the Goldstars meant to have serial numbers on the neckplate?

sinoblues said:
I ask him about neck plate and he claims that there shouldn?t be any serial number on Goldstars?!?

The older Goldstars certainly have serial numbers on the neckplate. Since you haven't bothered to add your location to your profile, we don't know where you are, so we're still guessing really.....

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=13896

Models changed at different times for different markets - that's why we ask people to add their location.

:roll:

Mike

Diamond said:
Beautiful guitar, as good as an AVRI...and I bet you paid one third of the price of a AVRI ?

Do you mean by that a Fender US re-issue? No way Jose!

stratman323 said:
sinoblues said:
I ask him about neck plate and he claims that there shouldn?t be any serial number on Goldstars?!?

The older Goldstars certainly have serial numbers on the neckplate. Since you haven't bothered to add your location to your profile, we don't know where you are, so we're still guessing really.....

Seller claims that this one is from mid 80s and his goldstar dont have serial number and he is not sure exactly year.
I really dont know how to tell if this is original tokai with neck plate changed or is it some cheap guitar with tokai logo.

OK, we've ruled out you being in the USA, that helps. The mid 80s Goldies - certainly up to '85 or maybe a few years later, had the correct Fender shaped headstock & a serial number on the neckplate. I don't think we've ever really established when the headstock change took place for the European market so it's hard to get much decent information on the later ones.

It's quite possibly genuine & original, but probably later than the seller claims. Maybe somebody else can help you more, but that's all i can tell you, I'm afraid

stratman323 said:
Diamond said:

Do you mean by that a Fender US re-issue? No way Jose!

I'll take your word for it, although it's pretty difficult to build a better neck than whats on this Goldstar I got...the neck is kind of perfect if you like vintage frets and vintage radius.

Btw, mines a 2009 model I think, maybe 2010, Vintage headstock, it has no serial number anywhere. :)

It's a matter of opinion, but nothing beats an 80s USRI for me. But an old Goldie comes **** close for a lot less money.

As for the serial numbers on the new ones, I find it rather annoying that Tokai have failed to see how important it is to provide stuff like serial numbers, after all these years. Why would anyone omit a serial number? :eek: It's ridiculous.

I might just be a suspicious person but it looks to me like he is deliberately covering the neck plate with the strap, and if you look close it looks like part of the last digit of the s/n showing or maybe a logo :-?

Latest posts

Back