Need help for identify guitar

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLowgun

Reaction score
Hi,

First time in here. I find one Tokai Goldstar Sound on sale. Pics were little bit bad, but owner write that guitar have 8 digit serial without any letters on it. Can I assume that it's Chinese? Serial is 06120007.

Need to see pics. Lots of weird stuff out there. A picture is worth a thousand words.

These are the only ones I have1000013870.jpg1000013869.jpg

Attachments

• 1000013868.jpg
    1000013868.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 1000013867.jpg
    1000013867.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
Curiously edited photos.

I would avoid this seller simply because of the way they took those pictures. You can’t see the shape of the headstock or the back with the serial number.

I would avoid unless you get more pictures.

At the least, with that serial number it is not a MIJ Tokai.

It is either Korean or Chinese.

In 2006 it should be Chinese but as I said lots of funky stuff out there. Could be counterfeit as well. That’s why you need pictures showing the serial number, the back of the guitar, and the entire headstock.

My guess is that it has the modified headstock and is at best an AST33 made in China.

They didn't show AST models in the Tokai catalogs around this time, 2006.

This was a period of transition from Korea to China, and at the end of Fender production by Tokai in Japan.

Here is a Korean AST33 from 2000

Scan 14.jpeg

Here is a Chinese AST33 from 2010

Scan 19.jpeg

Seller wrote that this is Korean made guitar and I told her I'm no interested anymore.

OK. FWIW, sellers are often wrong. I would be curious why they are saying Korean rather than Chinese.

My bet would be CHinese with the 06 serial number, but there may be a MIK decal or stamp that they are basing that on.

Last edited:
Back