Tokai /Floyd Rose help needed...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jockai

Reaction score
Hi chaps
i'm trying to set up an old mid 80's Tokai custom edition strat

it has a Floyd Rose type trem ....and locking nut etc....

the problem i have is that the trem arm is missing (where do they all go?)

now....on the trem unit there's just a hole....no thread or bush or anything

i've just bought a floyd arm mail order ....however it's too big....i've since

found out that a floyd requires a 9.5mm hole... but mine looks to be about 7mm...

i thought about just drilling it out a bit bigger ....but it's just impractical

drilling thru 4mm of steel ...i feel like i'm wrecking the thing ...

basically my question is.... anybody know who made these original trems and if there is

a similar maker today...making spares....it just seems a shame to chuck the whole thing away

for the sake of a lost arm....any ideas ??

try a local engineering workshop, they should be able to make you one based on the one you bought?

that's a good idea....
by the way that Cuthbertsons shop you mentioned has closed.... the only guitar shop in the west end nowadays is CC Music which was sound control for a while ....but was bought out a few months ago by Steve and Jimmy Egypt ...who is a great Luthier who you may remember.... i've given him a few of my guitars to set up and he's terrific....
i've been racking my brains to remember that shop in Sauchiehall street that i bought my first Tokai ...but can't remember the name ....could it have been Fergusons..???.........i think i've still got the receipt somewhere so i'll get there eventually....
awrabest
Andy

redstratblues said:
Hi chaps
i'm trying to set up an old mid 80's Tokai custom edition strat

it has a Floyd Rose type trem ....and locking nut etc....

the problem i have is that the trem arm is missing (where do they all go?)

now....on the trem unit there's just a hole....no thread or bush or anything

i've just bought a floyd arm mail order ....however it's too big....i've since

found out that a floyd requires a 9.5mm hole... but mine looks to be about 7mm...

i thought about just drilling it out a bit bigger ....but it's just impractical

drilling thru 4mm of steel ...i feel like i'm wrecking the thing ...

basically my question is.... anybody know who made these original trems and if there is

a similar maker today...making spares....it just seems a shame to chuck the whole thing away

for the sake of a lost arm....any ideas ??
Well as far as I understand it ,the Floyd fitted to Tokais was called the Ayers Rocker,this was basically acopy made under liceence by Gotoh in Japan, so that would be my first line of equiry. Remember too that this unit will be metric rather than the imperial measuremennts used on USa Floyds. By the way irf you like custom editions I`ve just bought a beauty that had been under someones bed for 20 years,and yes it had the wang bar in the case!.Gabe.

stewmac sells the metrics. shipment in the US if FOC. to austria i usually paid $ 7.-- USPS. fits into a standard envelope.
rup

Latest posts

Back