Need to replace tremolo AST-56

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbmyers

Reaction score
I bought my Tokai new way back when. It's an AST-56, sunburst and had a tort PG. At the time, floyd rose locking trems were all the rage and I installed one.

Now I want to restore it back to mostly original. I cant find the old trem, St Anthony didn't help (yet) though I still have faith that he might come through for me. Till then, I figure if I buy a new one the old one will pop out of the woodwork.

What is the spacing on the trem holes? Is it 10mm 10.5mm 11.3? It's hard to tell even with calipers, the difference is so small. Hoping to not drill the thing any more than I have already.

Lucky for me I swapped the neck when I did the floyd rose so the original neck is still original.

Thanks!

I have had the same dilemma as you with my ST-55. From the top of the head I measured 53.8mm screw spacing but was not too sure so bought the WV6 which fits fine but in hindsight the 53.8mm was measured right.

this trem dropped right into my tst-62, no problem.

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Solid-Steel-USA-Spaced-Vintage-Tremolo-Complete-kit_p_691.html

strange, that's besides the different screw placement also a 11.3mm spacing whereas vintage Tokai's have 10.8mm string spacing

jacco, not sure about the string spacing, you may be right, but screw holes lined up perfectly and once installed , intonation was pretty accurate and only needed minor saddle adjustments. At that price it was worth a try.

This was a drop in replacement for my 1987 ST50.

http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/product/Vintage_Style_Strat_Trem_GE101TC

No drilling etc. works a charm, and has held up better corrosion wise than the original.

hope this helped!

barks

Strange, did all the older Tokai's have 54 mm spacing like my 1980 ST55? And if so: when did it change to 56 mm?

Latest posts

Back