The LS150 boomarang, cancer, catheters and hospital food

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi There mate, sorry to hear your news but like the others say i'm glad you're on the mend.
Have you thought about an es 330 type guitar? like a shrunk down 335.

just a thought

alex

Many thanks for all the kind words.

The LS150 went to a new home tonight and to an extremely nice person.

Sorry to all the others that expressed interest, but I'm sure other LS150's will surface.

I shall continue to look at the forum.

I have a guitar builder in mind to build me a new strat body and to lighten the headstock to maintain balance. From an inital investigation the weight limit can be achieved quite eay with very limited tone loss.
But has I will be playing for pleasure, tone wont be an issue.

:)

Hi Donkey,

The Strat build sounds interesting, what's the plan?

I realised after raving on about semi hollow or balsa wood winged Strat bodies that you could probably save almost a pound by going hard tail, if you can forgo the trem that is. A light ash hard tail might be pretty close, and you could also use a thin pick guard, and get rid of one of the tone pots - every little bit helps! It will probably end up sounding great.

JVsearch said:
Hi Donkey,

The Strat build sounds interesting, what's the plan?

I realised after raving on about semi hollow or balsa wood winged Strat bodies that you could probably save almost a pound by going hard tail, if you can forgo the trem that is. A light ash hard tail might be pretty close, and you could also use a thin pick guard, and get rid of one of the tone pots - every little bit helps! It will probably end up sounding great.

I was thinking of either a very premium ( and no doubt expensive ) Swamp Ash strat body hollowed out ( think Thinline Tele ) with one pickup, fixed bridge and a lightened neck for balance.

OR

Tada

A Wesley Travel Guitar

meg10yl_01.jpg

Donkey Oaty said:
I was thinking of either a very premium ( and no doubt expensive ) Swamp Ash strat body hollowed out ( think Thinline Tele ) with one pickup, fixed bridge and a lightened neck for balance.

OR

Tada

A Wesley Travel Guitar

After all you've been through you deserve better than a yellow plastic guitar! Go on treat yourself :)

Donkey Oaty said:
Many thanks for all the kind words.

The LS150 went to a new home tonight and to an extremely nice person.

Sorry to all the others that expressed interest, but I'm sure other LS150's will surface.

I shall continue to look at the forum.

I have a guitar builder in mind to build me a new strat body and to lighten the headstock to maintain balance. From an initial investigation the weight limit can be achieved quite eay with very limited tone loss.
But has I will be playing for pleasure, tone wont be an issue.

Hi Donkey Oaty!

Many thanks for those very kind words. The LS150 is currently residing in my music room (AKA: bedroom). Spent an interesting evening last night comparing the LS150 to my Gibson LP Standard (1995) - more of this in another post.

Regarding your lightweight guitar dilemma, my advice would be to NOT consider a travel guitar as I have a Hofner travel guitar and whilst not a bad instrument in itself, I couldn?t imagine playing it to the exclusion of my other guitars. The small, cut down body means that the guitar is quite headstock heavy (a pet hate of mine) plus it really doesn?t balance well on the thigh when playing in a seated position. You would surely be far better off pursuing the Thinline Strat idea that we discussed briefly when we met earlier this week. Also I would have the whole guitar built from scratch as then this obviates the need for a particular body to balance with a given neck, the luthier would then be free to select the best piece of timber for each component (assuming a bolt-on Strat for example).

Best regards,
Darren/Mole Man

get yourself a v.
Here's my obg flying v, very light and amazing guitar. And they are very easy to play while sitting, despite what some people claim.
Sorry for the crappy pic (**** iphone), and take care !
obg.jpg

Hi Donkey,

How about a Parker Fly from the 1990's (remember them? Slightly odd looking thing but the USA made ones should be very well made and (more importantly for yourself), extremely light! Never tried one myself but seem to remember reading the reviews - very positive as I recall. Anyone able to chime in here at all?

Best wishes,
Darren/Mole Man

P.S. Still enjoying the LS150!

I'm going to look into the hollowed out strat body with very light klusons and a slim Tele neck. Checking the individual weight's it should balance like a normal Strat.

Have you got that LS150 syndrome ?

Put it in a corner , walk away and then come back and pick it up !

I used to call that the curse of never getting anything done LOL !

Back