Strengths of MIJ/Jap Les Pauls, Orville, Burny, etc.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojolang

Reaction score
My sincere apologies if this has been posted before. I've read a lot of these but none that really summed up the whole thing. Posted on some other forums but wanted to your your input. Thanks a lot!!!

Hello!

I recently posted this on thegearpage but I wanted to hear about your thoughts here. I've read a lot of these pages but none that really breaks down what the main differences are of the MIJLP's

so here tis:

Strengths of MIJ/Jap Les Pauls, Orville, Burny, etc. - The Gear Page

Hey guys,

Wanted to get your thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of any MIJ Les Pauls, what, if any is best bang for buck, etc.

It seems as though the consensus is that the Edwards have the tightest neck joints...many people absolutely rave about these, and this vid is interesting...

Edwards Les Paul vs Gibson Les Paul - YouTube

It appears this fellow feels the Burny's are overall the best deal: burny info

I have read elsewhere that Orville's/OBG are some of the most "consistent" though that Greco's and Tokai's can have more personality/mojo if you get a good one.

I ask as I have a swiss cheesed LP studio from '06, which I like, is incredibly light (< 5 lbs), but am considering one of these guys, but am unsure which route to go....

Any thoughts welcome as to how they compare against eachother vs. against domestic gib studios.
Any thoughts appreciated!!!

That's almost too hard to answer. You're wanting comparison between the MIJ brands and Gibson.... and you're wanting comparisons between the various MIJ brands.

There's no easy answer because there are so many variables.... age, build quality, materials, electronics, etc.

It's hard enough to try to compare the various models within one brand.

Right, well, OK, let's say for <1300 USD, considering the strongest neck joint, highest quality smallest piece woods, best hardware, pickups, thin finish spray....

I know it is hard, there seems to be no consensus. Everyone says they're all good.

just to point out, edwardses aren't 100% mij. the couple i've tried didn't have quite the mojo of the other mijs i've tried (which is not that many compared to most on here, so maybe i got unlucky). I also thought that before i figured out they weren't 100% MIJ.

At your price point a Burny or ObG...If you WATCH CLOSELY and act fast you might get close to that on an late 70's to early 80's Tokai..Lately an LS-80 and higher model Tokai after shipping ect....starting around $1500 and up...

mojolang said:
Right, well, OK, let's say for <1300 USD, considering the strongest neck joint, highest quality smallest piece woods, best hardware, pickups, thin finish spray....

I know it is hard, there seems to be no consensus. Everyone says they're all good.

Do yourself a favour and buy that Bacchus Standard that's for sale in the classifieds.

The thing about MIJ guitars is that first and foremost just about all of them are properly made - fret work, bridge/nut placement, so they will tune up and intonate nicely. This is most of the battle done right there.

However, it's total hype to say they're all wonderful. For one thing, wood is variable and the best woods are used on the expensive ones.

But, as long as you get a guitar that works like a properly made guitar should, then your choice of amp will be a much bigger factor in getting the tone you want.

You can't believe what you read on the internet. You need to play and compare the guitars. Theories about tightest neck joints will go right out the window, along with the rest of the obsessive details.

When you hold and play the guitars you will see and feel for yourself which ones have the qualities you value. And they are often very different from what preconceived ideas you have in your head and the biases made popular on discussion forums.

People tend to justify and over-promote whatever guitar brand they happen to buy, so beware of anyone telling you one brand is definitively better than the other for some reason... "my Bacchus has specially selected wood or the Greco pickups are like no other".

Having said that you will probably have better results buying higher spec models and you will find some good advice here on which ones are likely to satisfy you whether they are Tokai, Navigator, Greco, Burny, etc.

Buy a few different examples of them, try them, and keep the ones you like best. It might take time, and cost some money, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

The point about the Bacchus LP that's for sale here on the forum is that its been given a good playing and evaluation by an actual recording and touring musician...

When that Bacchus was ordered it was a kind of "special order" and spec'd to be sub 9lbs (if I've got that right). I think it'll be pretty decent.

Latest posts

Back