So I just got back from 8 days in Japan...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundcreation

Reaction score
... and DIDN'T buy ANY guitars...... :eek:

I guess my wallet is happy.

I was pretty picky though. I only wanted to buy used and even in the shops there the selection of used MIJ is limited.

Still though...it was nice. Got to play (or just wrap my hands around) a bunch of brands that until now I only ever saw on line.

I played that MOON custom order model that is on Ishibashi right now. That was a VERY nice guitar and I almost pulled the trigger on it. Just beautiful body, nice and resonant. But it's action was a little too high for my liking and I didn't really love those bartilloni pickups. Still, I bet that thing cost a bunch to get built.

Also that Orville by Gibson SG with the big chip out of the headstock. That one sounded really nice but the neck didn't agree with me....and usually I'll play any neck.

Played some van zandt, bacchus, and amazing momose strat that I almost broke my "used" rule and bought...

All in all it was fun hunting....and **** those stores there are amazing.

Fxxk Japan....Far cheaper to buy from the USA these days :D

Anyways, its fun to walk around the shops in Japan, despite most of them are rather expensive.

Hope you didn't miss Stratocrazy's place!

What is Stratocrazy? I've been there 3 times and have never seen it. I agree, the prices have gotten nuts over there though! The first two times I went the yen was in the crapper so it was pretty good. But still Part 2 on the main drag in Ochanomizu wanted 98,000 for a ST-80 Goldstar which was pretty far from mint. Still kicking myslef I didn't buy the Bacchus G-Player there for 50,000 (cheap at that time), and a mid-80's Fender Japan tele at another shop for 41,000. Those were steals with the value of the yen at the time.

The nicest shop for eye candy was in Shibuya, forget the name. It was behind the Ikebe store and had a ridiculous stock of vintage gear. The cheapest strat I saw there was about 15K I think.

Jason

yeah but I'm not really looking for Greco Orville, or Tokai anymore. Those have just gotten stupidly expensive for what you get, in my opinion, and really it's OUR fault for that. If people want to pay 200K + for an EG1200 then that's up to them...but I'll stay with the used navigators.

Plus it seems like they are all pretty fished out even compared to a couple years ago. If one comes along I want at a good price of course I wouldn't pass it up...but there are now much better options.

And I really could care less about fender or gibson. SOOO many of those in the shops there...and they are very nice...but I just don't care. I don't like what those companies represent. To much "marketing" and "branding".

I'm more interested in deals on used Van Zandts, Seymour Duncans, Bacchus and even the occasional navigator that comes up cheap.

There is a G player on Ishibashi right now...the oil finished one..for 67K..That's a fairly good deal in my opinion. Many used bacchus go for pretty cheap. The Navigators on Ishibashi are a good deal as are the van zandts.

I saw that used Bacchus as well. Nice looking guitar. I almost picked up a used T-Master tele in black oil finish at the Ochanomizu ishibashi, but they were asking way too much for it. Granted it was mint, but they were asking 96,000 for a guitar that at the time retailed for about 105,000. Too bad. Still don't have a tele. :-?

Jason

Back