Review - Fender Japan - ST54-120 DMC

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rustyslide said:
I found moving the middle tone pot to the bridge pickup really helped tame the highs, which involves just moving one wire.

I subsequently rewired it to take the input for the tone pots from the output of the volume pot (Gibson "50s" wiring), and changed around the caps.

I'm also curious to know how you've done it ... do you have a diagram pic that shows how it is working ??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Roger

I disliked the way the treble was rolled off with the volume, and was very happy with the "50s" wiring on my LP, so I looked at a Strat diagram and figured it out. I found a few references to it online, but no diagrams; most don't seem to like it.

I recall that I had to use two pieces of wire to do it, taken from old pickup leads.

As for the caps, I think I used a .022 ?F for the neck and a .015 ?F for the bridge, but I'm not sure - perhaps it was .033 ?F and .01 ?F. Both are orange drops though, from the .047 ?F ceramic one in there stock. The end result is that there's not much range in the bridge pot, but it sounds amazing all the way up or all the way down. I quite like it mixed with the middle pickup too.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably skip the "50s" LP wiring for the Strat, but swapping the caps and tone control I'd do again (it was too muddy rolled down before).

For what it's worth, my -80AM has CS54 pickups in it, rather than the DiMarzios in the -120DMC

Rustyslide said:
If I had to do it again, I'd probably skip the "50s" LP wiring for the Strat, but swapping the caps and tone control I'd do again

Rusty,

Thanks alot for your anwer and the valuation of the benefits ... I think I'll leave it as it is ... 8) 8) 8) 8)

Roger

Rusty,

It sounds as though you have the same views as I now have on caps - the smaller ones provide a more usuable range of sounds & can be turned down further without becoming too muddy.

I'm still not clear what this wiring mod is that you've used. :-?

Mike

You know the difference between modern and "50s" Les Paul wiring?

Modern: The input to the caps/tone pot comes off the output of the pickup/volume pot input lug (same thing).

50s: The input to the caps/tone pot comes off the output of the volume pot.

Stratocasters are wired like modern LPs, in that the tone pot is fed straight off* the pickup outputs (via the 5 way switch) (always have been). The net effect is that like on the modern LP, rolling down the volume loses highs.

I rewired it so that the tone pots are after* the volume pot output rather than input.

*of course, the tone pots aren't "after", they're in parallel, but this describes it visually.

Perhaps I'll record a sample on the weekend.

Hmmm, I think I understand what you mean, though I've never seen a diagram for this, and I'm not really clear how it works. It sounds like a Strat equivalent of the treble bleed mod that a lot of Teles seem to have, from the way you described it?

If so, it's solving a problem that I don't see as a problem, so I guess I can live without it!

Mike

Treble bleed mods usually work with resistors and caps in parallel jumping the the wiper and non-ground lugs of the volume pot, don't they?

I found a diagram on my computer that had my cap changes, and I drew the wiring changes on (after figuring out how it would work again). This is based on one of Seymour Duncan's diagrams:

54_mod.jpg

Basically, I took off the wire that goes from the common on the pickup side of the switch to the common on the tone pot side of the switch, and ran the pickup-common straight to the volume, and then fed the tone-pot common from the volume output.

Update ...

Bought me a new US Fender Deluxe neck - modern C-shape - and put it on the CIJ Fender body ...
What can I say ??? I felt at home from the very first moment ... :lol: :lol:
... and the tone !!!!!! I don't want to overrate it ... but she has got now the smooth Strat tone I've had in mind all the time ... NO harsh and brittle sound any more - it has changed to clear and assertive but without biting your ear ... :lol: :lol: ... can't stop playing !!!! 8)

Maple look ...
Fendermaple.jpg

Rosewood look ...
Fenderrose1.jpg

Guys, what do you like best ???

... and additionally I modded the wiring to be able to change the tone of the bridge pup - a mod that is simple and easy ... just a piece of wire soldered at the 5-way-switch - turning the rear tone pot, gives the chance to control the sound of the bridge pup ...
Here's the diagram ...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=tone_f_bp

Roger

Hmmm, why did you go for a modern type of neck instead of a 62 re-issue neck? To me that would have suited the look of the guitar better. But, as long as you're happy... :D

An even easier mod is to use the middle pot as a master tone control. Then, you never need worry about what tone you'll get when you change pickups - if the tone is backed off half way on the neck pickup, it will be on the other 2 as well. I have a copy of the diagram if anyone wants it.

Mike

I like the original neck better for looks, and since I can't stand the modern C-shaped neck and love the V, I'd go for the original neck there too. I think a '62 re-issue neck would be a better fit with regards to looks and would probably feel better to me, at least.

Whatever you floats your boat, of course ;).

Mike + Rusty ...

Thanks for your comments, well appreciated ... :lol: :lol:

You're right concerning the look ... doesn't suit as I was expecting to ... but I had a set of modern tuners laying around here and I've dicided to buy a fitting neck with R-board and 22 frets - and I fell in love with that abalone dots ... it's diappointing though - looks like an adorned ox ... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

But - the feel is convincing while playing ... so I'll resell that neck again and look for a more authentic one ... anyone interested ???

Roger

If it's any help, I bought a CIJ 62RI neck on eBay to fit to a Warmoth hardtail body that I had already bought. I think it cost me ?160 without tuners, so about ?190 in total.

119_1918.jpg

115_1515.jpg

It's a quality neck, & it sounds great with this body, but it's just too thick and chunky for me. And it feels like poly, whereas your maple neck is nitro isn't it? At some point I'll have to get something a bit slimmer and sell this one on, I suppose.

I get the impression that the Japanese 62RI necks are chunkier than either the US or Mexican ones. But maybe I've just been unlucky with the Japanese necks?

Mike

I get the impression that the Japanese 62RI necks are chunkier than either the US or Mexican ones. But maybe I've just been unlucky with the Japanese necks?

I have 1 japanese 62RI (ST62-105DMC)...
I?ve had another japanese 62RI (ST62-78TX) which I sold a few weeks ago (still regret it, as it was one hell of a guitar.. but.. I have enough guitars at home).

Both of them are 62 RIs.. but the neck on the ST62-78TX was chunkier than the ST62-105DMC. Also quite chunkier than the neck on my 1997 American Standard...

The neck on the ST62-78TX was the best part of the guitar.. quite fat.. but amazingly comfortable for me (and I have small hands)... So.. unlucky? Well that?s a matter of personal taste 8)

:wink:

Both of them are 62 RIs.. but the neck on the ST62-78TX was chunkier than the ST62-105DMC. Also quite chunkier than the neck on my 1997 American Standard...

Interesting... I was just toying with the idea of a ST62-105DMC... But I'm after the opposite - a chunky neck :)

I have a '95 Fender Japan '62 and it has a big neck - bigger than my Mexican Player Strat (or my '81 Springy)

Any other suggestions for good Strats if I'm looking at a Japanese spending spree?[/i]

Chipps said:
I have a '95 Fender Japan '62 and it has a big neck - bigger than my Mexican Player Strat (or my '81 Springy)

Any other suggestions for good Strats if I'm looking at a Japanese spending spree?[/i]

What's your budget? And do you want something new, or are you willing to buy something used from eBay?

Mike

I don't mind either actually. The Japanese Strat idea was because a) I like them b) a friend is ordering a couple soon for himself and the shipping wouldn't be much and c) I'm off to Japan myself in January...

I'm still after a decent sunburst Strat though, whatever the origin and I'd thought of the DMC Strat as it's a nitro finish and should age well for a 'keeper'.

Comments always welcome :)

Chipps said:
I'm off to Japan myself in January...
Comments always welcome :)

So you'll have the very best occasion to check the guitar personally ... :wink: :wink:

Either you'll go for a Fender or you'll find a nice old Springy ST80 or a Fernandes Revival or an old GNECO ... :wink:

I wish I could accompany you ... :( :( :( :(

Roger

I'm reserving the January trip for wild impulse-buying of random things in guitar shops - which is why I'm still thinking of a sensible and planned purchase of something nice and shiny and Japanese.

Then I'll be free to wildly grab one or two crazy guitar shop bargains while I'm there. (Any predictions? I'm reckoning that I'll end up with an Edwards Strat and a bizarre Japanese copy of an Ovation Breadwinner or something) :)

If you're looking for a used one in the UK, the ESP Series 400 were good, authentic Strat copies, apart from the rather ugly black ESP block decal. I have a 2 tone SB maple neck model, and I remember a Lake Placid Blue rosewood board one selling for around ?300 a few months back.

Fernandes don't get mentioned on here much, but I'd look seriously at them too.

Enjoy the trip! :p

And if you find a Springy ST80 at a good price, you can't go far wrong with that, as long as you know what you're looking for.

Back