Rare / Custom Tokais?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbarlow

Reaction score
Hello, all this time wandering the forums I realize I have not seen any too "weird" Tokais (referring mostly to Love Rocks).
I mean only the catalogue Love Rocks seem to be around :)
Anyone know of a custom order , special Love Rock or posess one ?
I m really curious to see some photos!
(I guess one has the choice of ordering a Tokai exactly to his liking, or am I wrong?)

Alexandros

Hi mate, i have 2 unusual ones, one is a 2002 LS 180 1 piece honduras mahogany back and neck, abalone inlays and a 1 piece curly maple veneer, yes 1 piece and ebony fretboard. And a Honduras mahogany gold top.
1c_12.jpg

1.jpg

1ea2_121.jpg

09_31.jpg

If you want more detailed pics i will have to take some more.
The LS-180 is one of six made in that year and the gold top is a one off.

Mick

Yeah I built it for him Joe...had to make the Shoji and Tatami by hand too :p

The LS180 is a beauty.

We had one come through, and it went to Harvey James, down in Melbourne.

Well, he had it until some time in the last 3 weeks. While away, his house was burgled.

Dirty rotten f###sticks stole his 2 strats, one of which was from his Sherbert days and the LS180. Nothing else.

So, if you get any whispers,.............. Harv is pretty devastated.

ONE day Joe I WILL build a Dojo in my backyard.
It WILL have wooden floor and shoji and Kamisen..
I went to Kibune Shrine in Kyoto a few times and it was very peaceful...I want to model it on that.
kibuneshrinekyotojapan1.jpg

stratmoto said:
The LS180 is a beauty.

We had one come through, and it went to Harvey James, down in Melbourne.

Well, he had it until some time in the last 3 weeks. While away, his house was burgled.

Dirty rotten f###sticks stole his 2 strats, one of which was from his Sherbert days and the LS180. Nothing else.

So, if you get any whispers,.............. Harv is pretty devastated.
He's had that orangey strat since he was a kid...it had a chrome covered humbucker in the bridge....poor *******..!!!
Speaking of Sherbert...remember Clive Shakespere the original guitarist?
He used to give guitar lessons in his garage in Seven Hills in Sydney and I took a few from him.
He did my head in though...too big on theory and I was too impatient :p

:eek: Both are beauties Mick !
Thanks for the photos!
That's exactly what i was asking for,
Your Goldtop since its 1 of a kind, it was a personal order I guess :D

You got any idea if these, rare models are "more handcrafted" than the main models? also are the high end models "more handcrafted" as well?

Yep,

Met him a couple of times, nice guy, very unassuming.

Clive is the proud owner of an SG75S, black, with P90's. He reckons it is better than the original he had back in the day. Played it on the Countdown reunion and the Footy Show. Loves it, but says he didn't get to turn his amp up loud.

Oze, keep an ear to the ground, Harv has lost a lot of history in one fell swoop. I hope he gets his Strat back, in particular.

I'll put some feelers out...I had some gear stolen in Sydney one time and got it all back after I walked into Smithies at Mosman and here was my Marshall JTM sitting on the shelf. :eek:
I remember Harvey's Strat very well...I prefered his work with Richard Clapton myself...far more edgey.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By4D1NI_4XM
There was a debate as to whether Ian Moss played on this track but I KNOW it was Harvey for a fact...I watched him play the solo...buhahahaha...EMI 301 studios in Sydney :wink:

Ozeshin said:
ONE day Joe I WILL build a Dojo in my backyard.
It WILL have wooden floor and shoji and Kamisen..
I went to Kibune Shrine in Kyoto a few times and it was very peaceful...I want to model it on that.
kibuneshrinekyotojapan1.jpg

8) r u currently teaching your super karate chop to people in your town
oze? sure hope you built the custom dojo someday at your home
and be teaching good people good stuff for them to be strong and
confident and healthy........ "OZESHIN DOJO" huh... ?オゼ心道場?.....

My Ryu is called Michi-do Karate(way of the Path for u non Nihongo types) and it's a combination of everything I've ever been taught...Goju-ryu...Jujitsu and Sabaki.
I teach in the local Hall(I'll send you a postcard of my Dojo if you pm your address Joe) every Saturday morning and private lessons midweek at my home.
It's pretty effective as defense and for sport if that's what people want.
I've developed the curriculum for the past 20 years and the style is registered at the Butokukai in Okinawa and is one of the few non-Okinawan styles to be registered there.
Which is a huge honor....as it means that the Okinawans(the people who invented modern karate-do) are happy to have it alongside the Okinawan ryu-ha.
I'm ranked to Sandan but keep getting told by my Seniors in Okinawa and Japan that it's time to grade to Shihan(Shihan is 5th Dan Master for u non-Nihongo types)..so maybe I'll be visiting you soon Joe.:p
Because I'm Sandan I can currently only grade my students up to Nidan(2nd Dan).
I love Martial arts equally as much as music...I'm fanatical about both :D

Ozeshin said:
Nidan(2nd Dan).

Great to hear there are other budoka around this forum ! :)
You have your own Ryu registered in Okinawa ? That is indeed a huge honor.
I love martial arts as well, doing aikido for 10 years. Not the soft style , but the more oldschool aikido from Iwama, Ibaraki prefecture.
This style is still considered Budo. Cheers mate !

Lars

labbi said:
Ozeshin said:
Nidan(2nd Dan).

I love martial arts as well, doing aikido for 10 years. Not the soft style , but the more oldschool aikido from Iwama, Ibaraki prefecture.

Lars
So more Aikijutsu than Aikido?
Aikijutsu was the forerunner for all unarmed combat in mainland Japan in feudal times...it was the style used by the unhorsed Samurai ..along with Tanto...Aikijutsu to get the enemy to the ground and use the Tanto to pierce the armour...sorry...I'm a total Japanese martial art geek...From Aikijutsu to Zenkutsu-dachi I've studied them all.
I trained in Tomiki-ryu Aikido for a time...it's more of a sports based style like Judo as far as rule go.
Always happy to meet another Budoka :D

Ozeshin said:
labbi said:
Ozeshin said:
Nidan(2nd Dan).

Lars
So more Aikijutsu than Aikido?
Aikijutsu was the forerunner for all unarmed combat in mainland Japan in feudal times...it was the style used by the unhorsed Samurai ..along with Tanto...Aikijutsu to get the enemy to the ground and use the Tanto to pierce the armour...sorry...I'm a total Japanese martial art geek...From Aikijutsu to Zenkutsu-dachi I've studied them all.
I trained in Tomiki-ryu Aikido for a time...it's more of a sports based style like Judo as far as rule go.
Always happy to meet another Budoka :D

I?m not sure about the definition of aikijutsu in relation to aikido, other than the fact that some of the core principles in aikido are not found expressed as clearly in the teaching system of some of the aikijutsu styles I have watched.. We train a lot of weapon in Iwama aikido- or Takemusu aikido as it is also called. There is some very interresting aikijutsu by Don Angier Sensei / Soke. He enherited this Ryu: Yanagi Ryu from a japanese
master he met after WWII, I can?t remember his name. Maybe you allready know him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvWiYcxTm2A

:p Some of the elements particular for Iwama aikido is Riai- the harmony of principles. The synthesis of aiki jo, aiki ken and tai jutsu principles. In my opinion this is the only aikido style that still teaches the full curriculum the way O?sensei taught it, thanks to the effort of Morihiro Saito sensei who studied with O?sensei every day for more than 24 years in Iwama.
All the aspects of aikido is represented in this weapons system from kokyo, hanmi, kiai down tho the exact position of the feets, hips, arms and head. I spent 2 months in Iwama last year,
in the founders dojo, it was great ! Living and breathing aikido 24 hours a day.. Wax on wax off ! And they also did makiwara training in order to make the atemi work. Though I prefer to use the heel of my hand since I don?t want to mess up my fingers and knuckles.. for the sake of playing guitar :) Iwama aikido put a lot on emphasis on Kihon training, as opposed to other aikido schools who tend to focus on ki no nagare from the beginning. So the result is very centered and strong practise where you learn to move from a fixed position / hold / grab.

Here is a youtube video of my senseis sensei. Morihiro Saito Shihan
He never had a flashy style, and he put a lot of emphasis on the basics.
But people being his uke allways told that he moved like a freighttrain,
and he organised the wapons curriculum as we know it today. An extremely clever aikidoka. In his younger years he did use his skills
whenever there was trouble with the local Yakuza. Put on his leather jacket and off he went to clear the bars.. :) I am sad I never had a chance to meet him in person, but my sensei studied with him for many years.
Sorry for the long message.. I am an aikido/ budo geek myself.. :D :D :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEK7fehEJ1Y&feature=related

I remember Saito sensei as a short man...but very powerful.
I went to some seminars here in Australia in the '80's...althoughI may be confusing him with Sato Sensei(getting old).
Funny that you mention Atemi jutsu...I had a distninct advantage training Atemi waza being a dan graded Karateka...so much so that many training partners refused to train with me coz they'd wind up black and blue..
Also I did my Sandan thesis in Kyusho jutsu so the temptation to strike vital points was sometimes too tempting :p

8) hey oze. my old california buddy james was doing whats called
"taikondo"? ........its the one from korea not japan and pretty popular
one now in usa i guess. whats this "taikondo" and what u think of em?
the difference between "karate" and "taikondo"? james duro of manteca
his name was........j

8) hi labbi. just saw your sig line and wonderin if it has anything w/mick?

So many questions, so little time.. (your line)

so many guitars....so little money... (micks line)

very similar i am very impressed. how could this possibly be happened?
you got influenced by his line or som?

anyways very strange here ............

8) j.

Ozeshin said:
I remember Saito sensei as a short man...but very powerful.
I went to some seminars here in Australia in the '80's...althoughI may be confusing him with Sato Sensei(getting old).
Funny that you mention Atemi jutsu...I had a distninct advantage training Atemi waza being a dan graded Karateka...so much so that many training partners refused to train with me coz they'd wind up black and blue..
Also I did my Sandan thesis in Kyusho jutsu so the temptation to strike vital points was sometimes too tempting :p

I know Saito sensei did teach seminars in Australia during the 80?ties, as well as in europe and in USA. Yes, a direct blow from a good karateka is... scary.. :) I believe it tend to throw some people off.
2 years ago I took a karate class. The first thing the small female instructor did was to line us up, and then she asked everyone of us to punch her in the belly- hard.. I guess she wanted to feel us out this way.. That was amazing, she didn?t blink an eye ! Then she returned the favour.. :D
Many of the styles you mention, I don?t know.. I would like to study some more styles as well.. but I need to focus on one style, and aikido is good for me, since there is a good balance between the spiritual elements, the techniques and the practical applications. I started of in a softer style of aikido, but I was very dissatisfied with it?s application in more "random" situations.. It didn?t work as a matter of fact. But Iwama aikido does.
This summer I am joining a seminar with Peter Ralston. I guess you might know him. He is quite interresting. Kyushu Jutsu ? Is that the art of striking pressure points ? Is your ryu closely related to Okinawan Karate seen from a technical standpoint ?
From what I have seen, Okinawan karate is very nice, good hips, deep power, and also a lot of throws.

Latest posts

Back