Quality of the 2007 MIJ Tokai SG-75?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay49

Reaction score
I'm currently in the market for an SG, and recently saw one for sale from a Japanese distributor on Ebay and the pictures he posts are really great and the price with shipping would be around $770.

Can someone who owns one of these comment on the quality as compared to the Gibson USA and even the VOS?

I know the Gibson has nitro finish...but beyond that, how does the quality compare and is the price about right for this MIJ model?

Thanks! :D

How can I resist?

I just purchased a white SG-75 from ebay vendor Hisashi. I am delighted with the quality. The SG has moved up to #3 most frequently played in my collection. It's really sweet!

I tried out 6 different Gibson '61 reissues and could not find an instant bond or vibe that would convince me to shell out the cash. Lowest price I found was $1,200 US w/case new from a GC. The Tokai SG-75 is quite a bang for the money.

Repeat not my mistake. If you are importing, check customs/import charges as they may apply to you.

Chico 8)

Thanks for the reply. I've played a 2007 Custom Shop VOS...but not anywhere near convinced that it's worth $2,400+...however, I do like nitro finishes above poly...but heck, I could get the poly stripped and nitro added for under $500 and still be way ahead of the game financially.... :p

Hi clay49!

Did you have a close look at the gap where the neck meets the body on the VOS? Have fun!

And then check out the quality of the VOS neck!!!

Rup

Rup, tell me about the neck gap on the VOS's. I played one today at guitar center. I was not impressed enough to pay up to $5,000 for a flame top VOS... I did not look closely at the neck joint...

Hisashi is the dealer I'm looking at as well...

On the $120 shipping costs, does that cover any import tax I may incurr or will those be in addition to the $120???

clay49 said:
Hisashi is the dealer I'm looking at as well...

On the $120 shipping costs, does that cover any import tax I may incurr or will those be in addition to the $120???

Nope...that's shipping only. All duties are the responsibility of the buyer and they vary from country to country.

clay49 said:
I'm in the US...what do these import taxes usually run? I'd like to know before I pull the trigger on one of these...any ideas? :-?
Could range from nothing to $85. I've had 3 guitars shipped to Chicago from Japan. One I paid no duty on, while the other two I paid $25 and $30. I have another guitar currently stuck in Customs and hope it won't be too much, but have been hearing about a few people paying up to $80 in duty recently. :(

Hi Guys,

The SG from Hisashi was just delivered and it's a beauty, and sounds great...but the neck is cracked right where it goes into the body - so I'll be sending this one back. I've taken some photos and will send them to Hisashi and wait his instructions on getting a replacement.

I'll have to wait on giving a full assessment once the replacement gets here.... :(

clay49 said:
Hi Guys,

The SG from Hisashi was just delivered and it's a beauty, and sounds great...but the neck is cracked right where it goes into the body - so I'll be sending this one back. I've taken some photos and will send them to Hisashi and wait his instructions on getting a replacement.

I'll have to wait on giving a full assessment once the replacement gets here.... :(

Bummer :cry:

Yeah. it is a bummer, and as I'm going through these documents, I see that he only insured it fo $500, when in his auction he said it would be insured for $800. I paid $649, so it doesn't even cover what I paid, much less the $120 for shipping.

I hope he comes through and handles this in a satisfactory manner....

clay49 said:
Yeah. it is a bummer, and as I'm going through these documents, I see that he only insured it fo $500, when in his auction he said it would be insured for $800. I paid $649, so it doesn't even cover what I paid, much less the $120 for shipping.

I hope he comes through and handles this in a satisfactory manner....

I'm sure he'll take care of it. Many of us have done business with Hishashi before and have never had a problem (as was evident by our standing up for his honor during an earlier post when it came into question).

Let us know what shakes out....

I might be tempted to just try to get it fixed here in the states, but that kind of defeats the purpose of a long-tenon neck, when that's what's been broken!

Mick...being new to the forum, I don't know how to post a pic. If someone will reply and give me the steps to downloading, I'll post thte two pics that I sent to Hisashi...thanks.

Clay :oops:

clay49 said:
Mick...being new to the forum, I don't know how to post a pic. If someone will reply and give me the steps to downloading, I'll post thte two pics that I sent to Hisashi...thanks.

Clay :oops:

Go to www.photobucket.com - it's free and easy to use. Just load your digital pics to your computer and then put them on photobucket. From there you can either paste the image or link to this forum.

Here are some pics of mine for reference. Clay you need to sign up for a photo hosting service.

The case is a Gator case designed specifically for SG's, fits like a glove.

Latest posts

Back