Pots in Grecos

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Ashley

Reaction score
I notice the pots in my Greco LP are marked 96K and the guitar sounds great with the Burstbuckers that are in it now. The wiring, pots, and caps appear to be the original Greco parts.

Most techs recommend 500K pots for Lesters and I don't see 96K pots available at parts dealers. Are the differences just differences in Japanese vs. American specs, or do I really have some "custom" pots?

Thanks![/img]

i have the EG-450 and a EG59-60 and both came with 500k pot.
i never seen a value that low except on an active electronic.
The best way is to take one of the pots out and mesure the value with a ohm meter.

Agree with what Villager said. No such thing as a 96K control pot in a guitar. I've owned around a dozen Grecos from the 80's and all had 500K pots. Look closer and you will see the designation. Like Villager said, 96K pots would seriously throttle the tone of your humbuckers.

The stock pots are pretty good in those Grecos, but I am in process of modding one of mine with the RS Historic upgrade kit with the CTS pots and Hovland caps, along with Mogami wire, Switchcraft jack and toggle switch. Replacing the stock pickups with Dimarzio Virtual PAF's too. Most of my Grecos sound good with bone stock electronics, but I am hoping this will be a serious improvement.

I know...i've never heard of 96k pots either..but here's a photo:

grecopots.jpg

I've modded this one out with Burstbuckers, Tonepros lightweight tailpiece and locking studs, RS aged knobs, Tonepros/Kluson aged tuners, RS switchtip and pickup rings, and a Switchcraft toggle and jack. Still want to get a more precise pickguard.

Great project 'burst...weighs about 8.8 pounds and sounds great!
I do have one question about the neck joint, but I'm putting that in another post.

grecotop.jpg

Latest posts

Back