Pots for EGC-500

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Vader

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was "investigating" the hardware of my EGC-500 and i discovered that the vol and tone pots have "strange" values. As I know, common values for Les Paul is 500k.
I measured 300k for the vol pot and 100k for the tone pot.
Is this normal for a EGC-500?
I have a strong feeling that this contributes to the EGC-500 sounding more "mellow" "warm" compared to my EG-65.

BTW, the pots look original to me so I dont think the previous owner changed them.

This is the tone pot.
P1130215.jpg

P1130210.jpg

(I apologise if this has been discussed before. I did a search and did not find anything on this topic) :oops:

Thanks.

DV

Yes, it's original and it should have 500k pots.
The first digit of the top row is the indicator for the value. So the '1' stands for 100k.
Here's a pic of my former 1981 EGC500:

DSCN3497.jpg

The first digit of the bottom row stand for the year of manufacture of the pot. So yours is from 1980, mine form 1981 which is consistent with the serial number.

My second thought:
I see it also features dime shaped caps. Maybe it was meant to be a late 70 G****n copy? They used the 100k tone/300k volume combo back then.
Are you sure it's a EGC500?

Hi Jacco,

The model was discussed in another thread.
It was initially listed as EGC-800 by the seller but identified as EGC-500 by the 3pc top. You can see the pictures I posted here:-

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18163&start=15

A second opinion would be nice.
What are the other features of a 70's copy?

Confused,
DV :roll:

Yeah, that's a 500.

Heh, just checked my 1981 EGC1000 for it has the same caps. Turns out it also has the 100/300k pot combo. Never noticed it soundwise :eek:

I only noticed it when I was trying out different caps.
I noticed a significant difference in the sound with and without a cap.
There was a lot more "attack" in the notes without the cap installed.
I suspected the value of the pot must be low so I measured it.
I was expecting a 250k but turns out to be 100k.

I installed a 500k pot yesterday and now the diff in sound with and without cap is not so apparent. there is still a slight "rounding" of the notes but much less noticeable. :D

Cheers,
DV

Latest posts

Back