LES PAUL JUNIOR REPLICA'S SHOOTOUT. orig 59 - TJ60 & Edw

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goddardo

Reaction score
Well here goes for what it?s worth. My humble opinion on how two copies of this great guitar compare to the real thing.

Firstly, my long gone but well remembered 1959 TV D/C Junior.
This actual guitar appeared in a mid-late 1980?s Guitarist Mag Oldies but Goodies feature alongside a matching Les Paul Junior Champ type combo amp.
Don?t know if anyone remembers this feature. Andy Summers was the cover Artist.
It was in great but lovingly used condition. No breaks etc. Only issue was changed tuners & bridge, but I managed to locate these parts anyway. It was unfeasibly light in weight and had an unplugged sweet warm resonance that burst into life when plugged in
The neck was the chubby variety and once I got used to it, felt very comfortable & natural.
Alas, after a near miss at a gig, where some stupid idiot decided to drench everyone with a high powered water pistol, missing me by inches, I decided to retire it from gigs & as I couldn?t really afford to pop it under the bed & forget about it for a few years, off it went.
Tokai TJ60
I remember when these first came out and I got pretty fired up as previously, the only other accurate looking replicas I?d seen were 1980?s Burny?s which only seemed to be available overseas, before eBay changed all that.
Compared to my 59, I remember the TJ60 being quite weighty & sound wise, it was pretty good, although it did lack power/warmth.
Had I kept it, a pickup change would have been imminent. My main gripe was the Thick plasticy, slightly see through yellow finish.
The guitar had a chip in the paint and I could see the thickness of it.
It was almost like it?d been dipped in yellow goo and left to dry.
The neck was quite chunky, but not as much as the 59.
Edwards ESP TV Jnr
I saw one of these for sale on eBay, but from Japan, so by the time they?d added import duty & VAT etc it became quite expensive, so I felt very fortunate to find another for sale in the UK.
In the pictures, it looked extremely authentic. Thin finish. The right shade of TV yellow = not too bright. Shell pickguard etc & when I finally got it, I could not believe the lightness & resonance. Now this is much closer to the real thing.
These are equipped with a Seymour Duncan P90, so it comes much closer to the real thing in terms of power & tone. The neck seems a halfway between the chubby 59 and the slimmer 60?s shape and the quality of fretting is spot on. Also, this guitar will just not go out of tune. A problem I?ve often had with Gibson type guitars.
My only slight disappointment, but nothing that can?t be upgraded is the small cheap looking mini Vol & Tone pots. (Talk about sinking the ship etc)
Also on closer inspection, the Shell pickguard is a white backed laminate affair.
I might have to change/modify these at some point.
Mine is the LT = Lacquer Top model which I?m informed means it?s a Nitro finish.
So called the barely finished effect, to approximate a thin vintage finish.
This looks convincing from a distance & gives that dull patina, but only ok close up.
I think this definitely contributes to the resonance though.
All in all a very comfortable light resonant guitar and IMO is the best replica out of the few I?ve owned & tried.

Hey goddardo,

Thanks for the write up!

I agree about the feel of the finish on the TJ60, however the finish on mine really is quite thin - I'll try to take a picture of a ding on mine to try and illustrate. I also agree the pickup is weak. I added more windings to mine and it sounds great now.

Mine is also incredibly light weight so I assume there's been some variations over the model years. Do you recall which year your Tokai was?

Thanks again!

Jim

My TJ60 was an early used model. I got it very cheap.
Maybe there were different grades, or you got a good one.
Although I didn't mention it in the shootout because it must have been a one off/rare problem, mine had a neck angle problem that made it necessary to sink the P90 into the body about 3mm so it would fit under the strings. Not come across that one before.
It did play fine though.

I was wondering how you download pictures onto this forum as I have pics of my 59 Junior, TJ60 & the Edwards.

G :D

Interesting about the neck angle - that definitely sounds wonky!

You neep to upload your pics to a host and then link to this forum. If you like, send me a PM - I can host some pictures for you.

Jim

Thanks for sharing this. Im seriously looking for another Japanese Junior clone after buying my '88 OBG a few weeks ago. I absolutely love the reach on the neck, the balance, and the total lack of features on the guitar. The only thing I wish it had was a fatter neck, mine is definitely '60s profile, like an old SG.

Are the Edwards guitars mahogany? I like this guitar so much that Ive honestly thought of finding a luthier to make one from something like Korina or Basswood, but I'll try to find one with a fatter neck before I go that route. The Edwards is the one I've been looking for so its encouraging to read this about the weight and resonance. I hope they are consistently like that because Im sure I'll have to have one shipped from Japan without being able to play it first.

The Edwards is Mahogany & from what I can tell, is a one piece body & neck which is something in itself.
I once had a TV Junior built by a local UK luthier using Braz R/W fingerboard etc. This was back in 1987 & cost me ?400, but now they would cost at least ?1000.
I think there are some good replicas out there to be had without spending that sort of money.
UK's own Gordon Smith guitars based in Manchester are excellent value for money, but are only losely based on the Junior.
If the neck thickness is a serious issue for you, I'd want to try before I buy.
I've owned both the 59 TV & a 1960-61 SG Les Paul with the slim neck & this Edwards falls somewhere in the middle.
If you like, I will try and take some measurements up the neck front to back etc.
I was told that this was a long tenon model, but I need to lift the guard to confirm this.
I have some pics of all these guitars, but I can't download them.
If someone sends me a PM with their email, I'll send them so they can be displayed.
Like I said earlier though, budget for a vol & tone pot upgrade.
Why they stuck these crappy mini pots in there, I just don't know.

Thanks G :p

well, the Edwards line featuring the Duncan p`ups had to cut corners somewhere to make a profit so I guess they did so with the electronics...but then, Fender Japan also uses the flimsy pots and plastic switch on many of their models as well so I believe it`s a cost thing. I`ve got several FJs from the 80s and some custom editions from the 90s with the good electronics so they can do it, and did in the early years...but at some point they decided to use different electronics. There are lots of other Japanese makers using the " good stuff " but they cost more and to me, I wouldn`t mind paying slightly more for a Japanese Fender if they put in better electronics because most folks swap em out anyways.
The Edwards L P jrs are listed as having deep joint necks.

Hey Goddardo,

Just wondering how you feel about your Edwards Junior now that the "honeymoon" phase has passed. Do you still like it as much as you did when you posted your shoot out?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Jim

Jim Jones said:
Hey Goddardo,

Just wondering how you feel about your Edwards Junior now that the "honeymoon" phase has passed. Do you still like it as much as you did when you posted your shoot out?

Just curious.

Thanks!

Jim

I'm wondering too!

I'm looking at getting a edwards les paul junior when I return to japan.

Back