Pics of my new Love Rock Prototype

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
luis said:
Those Gotoh pups must be a new models as I've never seen that Gotoh engraved before....There were some experimental models going LS100 and above with Honduras Mahogany necks.I saw them at Guitar Universe site some years ago....

I thought I'd seen them before, they are fitted on my 2004 LS90Q Limited Edition. My guitar also has open coil pickups (zebra).

DSCF0073.jpg

Les

Pegcityrocker said:
I was wondering about the long neck tenon. From what I thought, if it has a long tenon, the heel of the neck will run right under where the pickup sits. Is that coorect? If so, I would say mine does not have that. :-?

It looks similar to the 2-piece tenon on the ls-200, but strictly speaking it's not the classic long tenon.

bruno said:
mercaman isn't the long tenon on the ls-150 a little on the short side...

a les paul long tenon looks like this:

tenon.jpg

Yes I suppose it is a little shorter than the Gibson one, then again it's not a Gibson.

I suppose your right, that's why I love tokai, not gibson... (also like orville very much though :) )... I just thought the tenon would be the same...

Well guy's, I really appreciate all the input. It looks like this doesn't fit into any of the regular Love Rock models which I'm OK with; in fact I prefer that. I'm not sure where these prototypes come from (guitar shows, people stealing them from the factory?) but I'm sure glad I found it! ANyway, it's time to get back to playing. :D

Pegcityrocker said:
I'm not sure where these prototypes come from (guitar shows, people stealing them from the factory?)

"Prototypes" crop up every so often on ebay and are usually fakes or mod jobs. However, there are a few genuine articles out there - maybe you're lucky. 8)

Most people would agree that a long tenon should be a third of the way through the neck pup cavity. Look at new off the rack Gibsons, they are tenon challenged. Does someone have a tenon pic for anything above a 150?

I'm guessing the length would be the same for all above the ls120 could be wrong though (with the excption of the old ls-200 now ls-230 with a long tenon)

Here is a pic from my old Epiphone elite gold top from Ishibshi. It was made in the Fujigen factory. A flawless guitar that lacked the soul of Tokais.

well everything is has expected then, (except for the 320 which I though would have the same type of tenon as the 150)...

Just to throw a little kersone on the fire, my '01 200 doesn't have a tenon like the one pictured. It's 2-piece, with the tenon lying on top of a second bit of wood.

Skybone said:
I've heard that cutting off the excess length of those pole screws will help the sound of the pickups (something about the magnetic fields).

Don't know where you heard that, I'd say that it was one of those 70's "urban guitar" myths, like stripping the paint from the guitar helps sustain (Mick Ronson/Marc Bolan, etc). .

Not sure about those pickups mods, but stripping the paint off a guitar really does work. I have a Strat with a stripped finish, and a light oil coat rubbed onto it. It resonates likes a monster, has a hell of a lot more tone than the 2004 Deluxe I had, and just last week I had the chance to put it up against a couple of Custom Shops. It more than held its own.

Latest posts

Back