Order of Excellence for MIJ (Early 1980's to mid 90's)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

villager

Reaction score
for les pauls, mine is
1 Greco Super real EGF 1200/1000
2 Tokai Les Paul LS80 and higher 1979-1983/1980's Navigators
3 Orville by Gibson Reissues with fret Binding 1993-1994
4 Orville by Gibson (all others)/ Greco mint collection eg59 100 and 120's/
1980's Burny Supergrades 90's and 120's

this is my general idea, and goes on a mixture of Fat necks/tech spec, and overall feel for my personal playing preferench...of course I have some of each which are better than others of a higher grouping ..but generally thats my order....whats yours?

Very interesting but I haven't try all the top of the stuff. :cry:

I don't think that more than 3 or 4 people on this forum will be abble to discuss this with you. :wink:
On firebirds replicas, the top is the greco FV-980 from the end of the 70's.

Interesting to me too.I haven?t been abla to try all those models,and because the price I doubt I'll be able anytime but I like reading your opinios Villager.

Interesting stuff Villager. Would you rate the Greco Mint Collection (EG59-100 and up) the same as the high end Super Real EGF series?

hi spleen...generally no i wouldn't..mainly because of the lack of fret binding and slightly thinner necks...I have a limited edition
greco goldtop eg57-1500!!!, with a fat neck and fret binding, this is the same as the superreals in every aspect ...but its the only M.C. i have seen with fret binding..

dont get me wrong..I love the high end mint coll..eg59-85/100 and the eg58-120, nitro finish, long tenon, correct headstock angle and shape..(i rave over the PU's in the 100 and 120, DRY ..best PU's out there ..in my opinion...)they are great guitars... but i wish they had made them with fret binding, and great big fat necks.. for the sake of historical accuracy if nothing else...

cheers

EG57-1500?!?! Of course this calls for pics when you can.... :D

How are the Necks on the EG58-120 compared to the EG57-1500? What about sound and resonance?

I like your opinions also 8)

Hey villager in your opinion what are the best years for the ES-335 copy? And have you ever seen any ES-330 copies?

greco SA-900 super real project on the sticker 1980 and 81,
if you can find one, a greco SA-1200 super real project ..same years ..much much rarer and super expensive ..
900 is about 900 quid the 1200 is about 1600 quid..

the mint collection also did a 64-120 which is beautiful...1982-84

hard to find those too..

i have a couple of 900's and a 64-120 on my site..all on hold.

all the above had dry Z as stock..

not had or seen a 330 copy by Greco..

villager said:
not had or seen a 330 copy by Greco..

Never seen that model by Greco, or by Orville By Gibson or Burny. :-? Does it exist?
That was what I was looking for for a while... before I discover The Greco Gretsch copies... no wonder why Kanda Shokai is in charge of the production of Gretsch now! After that, I forgot the 330-like.

Greco and OBG have some nice accoustic models too that are not often mentionned ( j-200, j45, hummingbird, j-160E ...). Never tried the Burny j45 or hummingbird.

I have seen several Grecos with the 330 tailpiece(at the end of the body) but with the varitone(which I reaaly don't care),it takes me to think they are hollow inside no block like 335s.

Yup its the one with the P-90s.

fb_3.JPG

Hey Villager,

Are the necks a fat 59 profile for the 335 Super Reals only or are they on the Mint Collection also?

Thanks bro

I have a wine colored Greco ES 335, hand written numbered limited edition that has a factory original truss rod cover that says "Installed Gibson P.U." and does in fact have 80's Gibson p'ups in it.

The neck profile is very thin - much more 60's than 50's and as such, it has a volute neck.

Have any of you guys seen this model before? If not, I'll try and post some pictures of it this weekend.

Marcus

Latest posts

Back