Opinion on a ST-60

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bluejeannot said:
I think that the brass plate under the controls is a good indicator of a Goldie made before 85.St 50s with U pickups rather than v1s or 2s is also a good indicator of date.There were however many Goldies produced in 84 with V pickups as the Us ran out.Gabe.

What evidence is there that Goldstars made ater 1985 didn't have the brass plate Gabe?

I had an St50 for a while a few years ago ,it had V11 pickups and a receipt from sometime in 85.It had no brass plate ,just silver foil backing.Gabe.

hmmm interesting

So, is this what you call a 'brass plate'?

http://imageevent.com/waggi/takaist60mintred?p=31&n=1&m=-1&c=4&l=0&w=4&s=0&z=3

Bearing in mind that it's got 'E' pickups, is it an indication that it was built after 1985? Also, can the warranty card or the guitar bag help me to estimate the year?

Tks Andre

My left handed 1984 TST60L has a rosewood fingerboard with serial number L24943 (like a '64 Strat as Stratman says). Before I replaced them with Bare Knuckle Irish Tours, the Tokai pickups were stamped "V" (not V1 or U). Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the various pickup types - were they supposed to replicate the sound of different period-built Strats?

My tuner covers are stamped "deluxe" and bridge plates "Final Prospec"

Ez_rider said:
Thanks Gabe,

How about the E pickups, the bag and the warranty card? Do they tell anything?

Cheers

Andre
If the warranty card has a date of puchase then yes obviously.As for E pickups I think like the U`s they were left over from Springy production ,they were used on Goldies till they ran out.So E`s on a Goldie denote to me at least an 84 or thereabouts,Vs V11s and the like post 84.As for what the pickups were based on I guess that Es are rather like 50s pickups in output and sound whereas Us are a slightly hotter more 60s kind of pickup,with perhaps a few more turns on the bobbin.E`s might also be Alnico 3 (this is pure conjecture of course until a metallurgist joins the forum) and u`s are probably alnico 5.Gabe.

bluejeannot said:
I had an St50 for a while a few years ago ,it had V11 pickups and a receipt from sometime in 85.It had no brass plate ,just silver foil backing.Gabe.

Is that the only proof? Sorry Gabe, you know I respect your knowledge of Goldies, but that seems a bit tenuous to me.

stelyn said:
My left handed 1984 TST60L has a rosewood fingerboard with serial number L24943 (like a '64 Strat as Stratman says). Before I replaced them with Bare Knuckle Irish Tours, the Tokai pickups were stamped "V" (not V1 or U). Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the various pickup types - were they supposed to replicate the sound of different period-built Strats?

My tuner covers are stamped "deluxe" and bridge plates "Final Prospec"

Personally, I have never understood why Tokai switched from Es & Us to the various V models - the VI & IIV pickups I have tried seem less impressive than the Us - weaker & thinner sounding.

And why were the Silver Star pickups usually not stamped at all? :eek:

What is your opinion of the BK Irish Tours? I have a set of BK Slowhands in a Goldie, & I'm trying to decide if I like them or not. They are certainly not thin or weak!

bluejeannot said:
As for what the pickups were based on I guess that Es are rather like 50s pickups in output and sound whereas Us are a slightly hotter more 60s kind of pickup,with perhaps a few more turns on the bobbin.E`s might also be Alnico 3 (this is pure conjecture of course until a metallurgist joins the forum) and u`s are probably alnico 5.Gabe.

My U's measure neck: 6.25, middle: 6.20 & bridge: 6.31. That seems pretty much 50s to me. They do sound a little low peak on the high end so maybe a bit overwound?

In reply to Stratman, the Irish Tours have transformed the sound of my TST60. Apart from much greater volume, the range of different tones that I can now access is far better than when the "V" pickups were fitted.

By the way, the price label that came with the guitar when I bought it new in either April 1984 or 1985 (I can't remember which) shows TST60L. The L at the end is obviously for being a left hand model, but what is the significance of the TST when you normally refer to Tokai Goldstars as only ST50,60 or whatever?

Another thing that I can never understand are neck profiles. I've looked at all the different shapes on Fender websites etc, but to me they all look very similar on an actual guitar. Any ideas on what profile my rosewood TST60 might be?

OK, great. I usually complain about Strat pickups being too thin, but, if anything, my BK Slowhand set is too dark & heavy sounding. They seem darker than the Yutas that come in Bacchus Strats, if that helps anyone with a comparison. Maybe the Irish Tours are a better bet?

:-?

I THINK the TST designation came in with the Goldies, so maybe the US market got the ASTs and the rest of the world got TSTs? That's a guess on my part, so don't take that as gospel. Maybe somebody else knows?

Neck shape descriptions can be very confusing & there doesn't seem to be any standardisation of terms. I would describe the neck of a RW board Goldie as being a fairly slim C shape, but I'm not aware of an official description from Tokai.

Back