NGD 1981 LS100S ON All Mahogany Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
settebello said:
Mine is a '81 LS100S OR and its a one piece back with a one piece top.
There is a seam to see in the neck pup cavity.

Cool. Are you saying there is a seam in your guitar? As in a slab top?

My top is a one piece. I have looked with a bright light a few times.

And I believe (?) it is continuous to the back/the whole body is one chunk of wood...

(Edit: Discovered it is a 1 piece top over 1 piece body after opening pickup cavity)

And yours is the red/Joe Walsh model? Your OR?

[urlhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIjpRNqVIcU][/url]

Hmmm. I see my TRC was switched, and apparently the nut as well based on the description from 2018 on eBay from Japan.

Yep,its a Joe Walsh OR.
That guitar in the yt link is only one digit away from mine in the serialnumber.
How cool is that. :eek: :D
https://www.faberguitar.com/Tokai-LS100-OR-1981-Joe-Walsh-I96

Very cool! It's a beauty. Congratulations.

And I will take your advice and pull the pickups when I get a chance and look for a seam to see if it is a slab top.

It is soooo hard to tell with this wood since it is so dark and the variation in grain is not so pronounced where you can follow it easily around corners under the binding. I'll check it out later when I can and try to sort that out.

I was hoping it was all one piece because that would be so cool, but that would surely present challenges for routing & drilling I guess for running wire between cavities. Which would slow things down and increase costs in production I assume?

Will look when I can and report back.

(Edit: Discovered it is a 1 piece top over 1 piece body after opening pickup cavity)

And it was listed on Reverb in 2019:

https://reverb.com/item/29064944-r...-ls-100s-all-mahogany-vintage-electric-guitar

Jqidijk.jpg

So far I know it listed on eBay in Japan in May of 2018 by "japan_strings_instrument". They disclosed the mods including the re fret.

Not sure who bought it or when it sold, but it somehow got to the US by 2019.

Then in October of 2019 “felipefenton” (Fenton Guitars in Houston, Tx) joined this site and had it listed on eBay and Reverb and posted on here in the classifieds. I didn’t see anything about mods in the two threads he posted on here or on Reverb linked above.

Then a year and a half later I bought it in December of 2020 on eBay from a guitar reseller outside San Diego, Ca. who seems honest and said the person that dropped it off didn’t have much interaction because of Covid, so the story re the re-fret was not in the listing when I bought it (though it was in the eBay listing in 2018 in Japan).

Isn't ls100s solid, a different model to the joe walsh all Mahogany and therefore a difference in construction?
The all solid LS100S was only made for 2yrs 80<82.
Found this http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=164874&sid=a588beba8519789a7a67674ba5227c27

Yep, settebello is right. One piece top over one piece bottom. Both Mahogany of course.

And I know it sort of looks like there is a center seam, but I looked closely and that is a grain difference/stain, but it is an all one piece slab top.

(See last pic of top with flash)

fgzGRzd.jpg

dPA6YsB.jpg

lcPfRnT.jpg

Crazy for me to realize that a half inch thick or less mahogany cap could make that much difference in the ability of a guitar to sustain and resonate. Or maybe it is not having the center seam? Or maybe just these particular pieces of wood, it is very dense as the 9lb 10oz indicates? But something is doing it because this guitar really sings.

Might have to start looking for the goldtop. :)

So it seems that:

“S” = Solid = 1 piece (solid) top (no center seam) over a 1 piece (solid) body.

"One over one" as in the attached diagram from the 1981 catalog section on Love Rocks.

qndVT7C.png

FW87arZ.png

8lMBzZp.png

My next question is whether the GT (gold top) and the OR (Joe Walsh) models have a mahogany cap as well, or is it a different wood like maple?

You would assume that if it's an LS100S then the construction is the same and according to Peter's book, the colour made no difference.

Maybe what’s a GT? Mine is the ON or natural finish. Yours is the OR or red finish

I’m wondering if under your paint it is mahogany? Can you tell in your pickup cavity?

settebello said:
Villager has a LS100 GT on his site.Maybe its a LS100S GT.

Maybe what’s a GT? Mine is the ON or natural finish. Yours is the OR or red finish

I’m wondering if under your paint it is mahogany? Can you tell in your pickup cavity?

settebello, I’m wondering if under your red paint on your Joe Walsh if it is mahogany? Can you tell in your pickup cavity?

If it’s mahogany it should be the same color as the body. If it’s a different color then it’s something else.

I would be surprised if Tokai would paint over a mahogany top, but who knows? I know that early gold top Gibson Les Paul’s were sometimes flame maple underneath.

Anyway, would love to know what the wood is under the red paint.

Latest posts

Back