"New" Bacchus BST-62

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throstur

Reaction score
About one week ago I bought a Bacchus BST-64V from a dealer in Japan and received ?it" yesterday safe and sound.

It came with this description;

"Bacchus '64 Reissue Stratocaster. Vintage White nitrocellulose lacquer finish, mint green pick guard. Center joined 2-piece Alder body, 9.5" radius rosewood fretboard with medium frets and steel tremolo block. A beautiful high end Japanese Stratocaster. Near mint 9.8/10 condition. Missing rear cover. Weighs 7lbs 9oz."

Now, what came out of the box, according to the Warranty Card with matching serial number is a Bacchus BST-62 OHW! Serial# 126XXX.

I must admit that I had my suspicions about it being a BST-62 before I bought, one friend here at the Forum pointed it out to me that it had Slab Board and the pickguard screw hole pattern of a BST-62. Well I bought it anyways since the price is probably similar to BST-64V, and it looked like a nice guitar.

It's much more yellowish (in a nice way) then shown on the sellers pictures. It has a very nice dark fretboard, bone nut and looks pretty cool in my opinion. It was in tune out of the box despite the crappy strings. Has a nice feel all over, unplugged it sounds very much "alive" and strong. Haven?t plugged it in yet.

I accept the 9.8/10 rating, but it has one issue I should have been told about. The Tremelo arm does not fit at all, probably not the original and is totally unusable. Can be replaced/repaired of course.

Here are pictures of it "out of the box".
IMG_5612-1.jpg

IMG_5628.jpg

IMG_5625.jpg

IMG_5627.jpg

IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5617.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

IMG_5615.jpg

IMG_5610.jpg

Fretboard.jpg

IMG_5619.jpg

Just like mine except mine's the one with no logo:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11058

Be a good pal and scrap the logo off yours and send it to me.

:D

I'm very pleased with mine, so much so I've just bought it's big brother, a Momose.

Sure thing, they're still here:

http://imageevent.com/nu2uguitars/momose62reissuestratocasternitro

NICE guitar!! Expensive I guess: :roll:

The Bacchus I bought is actually a little more "yellowish" then the pictures show. It seems to be a difficult color for the camera to catch. It seems whiter on the pictures then it really is. :p

Hi Throstur,

Looks a great guitar. I've liked the all the ones ones I've tried. How does it play and sound?

Andy, I made an offer on that momose, not enough obviously, but opted for a Deviser/Momose which I love in the end. What do you think of it?

Dave

Well it is still as it came out of the box with crappy strings and needs a good setup. However it sounds very good unplugged, good sustain and is lively and vibrates from end to end. I always find that a good sign.

Next step is to take a look under the hood, see if eveything is OK there and then a good setup. Also have to repair and adjust the tremelo because I use it. After this it will go to my rehersal room and be put into use. It feels very good all over and looks a killer :p

I think exactly the same as throstur thinks about his new Bacchus. The Momose needs some love and a good set up. It only arrived today so I've done nothing to it yet and won't for a few days - once I've sussed out it's wily charms, heh. It's a fine guitar - relaxed, comfortable, an old friend already. They say Bacchus/Momose choose their woods carefully and I agree. Good wood sings. Mine's yellow too, a nice yellow though. The Bacchus is new so it's a lot whiter meantime.

I made three offers on it before he eventually sold me it. I kind of knew I had to have it, I spotted it months ago and it never really left me, especially after buying a Bacchus in the interim and discovering just how wonderful they are. :)

I've played all kinds of strats over the many years of playing and these luthiers are certainly amongst the very best at it. Cliche, perhaps, but I think Leo would be pleased. I know I am.

I have a Callaham bridge and Kinman pickups in my Bacchus. I wasn't unhappy with the existing bridge but I like Callaham because the whammy bar always stays where you put it and has no loose wobble up and down when you grab it. I like that. The Kinman's were originally in a Fender but sounded dead there so I tried them in the Bacchus and they sprang to life. i wasn't keen on the Yuta pups in the Bacchus but I think the Yuta's in the Momose are a different model. We'll see.

Enjoy your mistaken '64. throstur, personally I'd be happy with the error. In fact I'll take it off your hands for considerably less than you paid for it if you like.

:D

Thanks for the offer Andy, but no thanks :p I have been testing it and the more I see and feel the more I like. As you said it feels like an old friend already. I am a great fan of Callaham bridges to, had it in one of my Strats that I sold 2 years ago. (Should have taken it out, I doubt that the guy who bought it can feel the diff). I use the tremelo a lot and I just hate when the bar is loose, ruins the feel really.

Hey Mike
Do you think so?????????? I just took it out and it has a steel block underneath the bridge. Also the Tremelo arm does not fit, it screws in but the thread is much to narrow and it rattles loose. Have you got a picture of how it should look? :eek:

I will take some close up pictures tomorrow and ask for your help to figure it out :eek:
Thanks
T

Maybe the pics are just misleading? A vintage Strat bridge should have pressed steel saddles like this:

143_4343.jpg

Yours look like they might be more square?

Could be wrong but I think Bacchus use vintage style Gotoh bridges.

We need Hisashi in this thread. :)

The saddles are either nickel or stainless steel and the block is steel, very heavy, similar to the the Callaham block. There is nothing that indicates who makes it. 8)
IMG_5634.jpg

IMG_5635.jpg

IMG_5638.jpg

andyscott said:
Could be wrong but I think Bacchus use vintage style Gotoh bridges.

We need Hisashi in this thread. :)

A bridge of Bacchus is a GOTOH product.
"GOTOH GE108TS"

However, in this bridge, only Bacchus(Deviser) is sold.

hisashi0731 said:
A bridge of Bacchus is a GOTOH product.
"GOTOH GE108TS"
However, in this bridge, only Bacchus(Deviser) is sold.

Thanks Hishasi :p I think I understand correctly;
"this bridge is only sold with Bacchus(Deviser) guitars"?
English is not my native language and I sometimes have difficulties in understanding :oops: My native language is Icelandic. :p

Hey Hisashi, do you know what type of Rosewood is used on the fretboard of this guitar? It is very dark (black).

throstur said:
Thanks Hishasi :p I think I understand correctly;
"this bridge is only sold with Bacchus(Deviser) guitars"?
English is not my native language and I sometimes have difficulties in understanding :oops: My native language is Icelandic. :p

Hey Hisashi, do you know what type of Rosewood is used on the fretboard of this guitar? It is very dark (black).

HI,

Only Deviser(MOMOSE,Bacchus and OEM)Guitars is used.

BST uses Indian Rosewood.

Thanks.

Hi Guys,

Andy asked for some pic's of my Deviser.

There are lots in this thread
http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=11199&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Dave

Latest posts

Back