Need help with my super grade

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toybitz

Reaction score
Hi.

Is my Super Grade MIJ? MIC? MIK? Can anyone tell me about the model? I can't see any serial number inside the pick up cavities.

I also checked the truss rod cover for more screw holes inside, and found it to be really just 2 holes. But I'm still skeptic as I didn't like the crooked 3rd inlay. The Japs are perfectionist and I couldn't get over that inlay.

Here are the pics.

myburnysupergrade2.jpg

DSC01528.jpg

DSC01529.jpg

DSC01530.jpg

myburnysupergrade3-1.jpg

body color without flash

hi
the pickup look like a mij ....
but try looking at this link .... maybe that can help you '
http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/burny%20info.html
all the best
otto

I have checked that link before.

But, I'm still not sure about my copy.

Thanks Otto.

the pick up looks like a 1989-1996 model ......no serial serial it is before 90-92 .....have you looked at the caps .... are the green or yellow
all the best
otto

muccax said:
the pick up looks like a 1989-1996 model ......no serial serial it is before 90-92 .....have you looked at the caps .... are the green or yellow
all the best
otto

the caps have been replaced.

other PUs were tried too before I got hold of this baby, but my friend who was the former owner put the orig PUs back, except for the caps...he got it with that paper oil type MIJ brown tootsie-roll like caps (w/o the color coding bars..it was just plain brown).

I am distracted by that crooked trapezoid inlay on the third fret. Knowing that if the Japs made this, it should've been straight perfect.

But then again I had a greco sg before which was MIJ and the inlays along the 19th to the 21st fret were crooked too.

I guess the Japs, are still human.

I also read that the only way to tell is the truss rod? because MIKs and MICs have 3 screws on it?

So is this an affirmation that my Super Grade is Japs?

Thanks Otto for helping me with this.

oh, may I add...

don't the Japs use nickel on hardware whereas the others use chrome?

the hardware doesn't look like chrome does it?

because tarnished chrome cracks with age right?

Mark Fletcher of Japanguitars just wrote back..

he confirmed its MIJ, late 80s.

He wasn't able to answer what particular model though, must be busy.

What a relief!

Will you stop saying 'the Japs' It's hardly a term of endearment.

The Japanese certainly did have off-days too, I've seen a good few mij guitars that have been less than perfect.

Back