my two orvilles (just got them - the jnr, that is!)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OrvilleBoy

Reaction score
i got the Std bout a while ago and the Jnr bout a week or so ago! just thought i'd post them since i love them so much
anyone else have similar Orvilles? how are they????

Lovely....

Had a single cut, two p'up Orville Les Paul Special a few years ago. Wonderful guitar - amazing tone. But the neck was huge and really difficult for me to play - got cramps in the middle of my palm after about an hour. Parted with it but I'm on the prowl for another - perhaps and Edwards.

Enjoy yours....

Maybe in a week or so (after the "honeymoon") YOU can tell us how THEY are! :lol:

I have two ObG Les Paul Customs (one w/rosewood & one w/ebony fingerboard) and an ObG Firebird and they are just FINE guitars!

I wish I had a Jnr and a flamey LP Std. :wink:

haha yeah thanks.......! i'm still in love with them. the Standard i've been playing everyday, with my first band i've just started, and i've been playing for a month i think... i took the time to properly set it up and the mojo is now setting in... at the start the guitar was abit stiff in places i felt, but now everything works smoothly... it feels as if i've played it so much that a part of me now lives inside and it responds to me... pure magic....!!!

i read somewhere that not all orvilles came with deep neck tenons so that stumped me abit... so i decided to open the neck pickup tonite... deep neck it was!!! and it was set bout halfway into the cavity... because i saw on the net that some stopped right at the edge of the cavity, and ones that dont even reach the cavity... this one went halfway thru.... so i was pleased! i knew it always sounded abit thicker than previous guitars but i wasnt sure what the tenon fuss was about... now i guess i know abit.

i also took a look at the underbelly of the pickup and it was blank... no "Patent Applied For" no "Gibson" no "Orville" nothing..... blank....

This should be the Orville pickup right???? it's just the guy i bought it from said he's not too sure himself because he's seen Gibby and Orville pups on both before.

whatever it is i dont want to change it...yet.... it's taken a while for me to get it working so well...

the Junior i've not really played much yet... the other guitarist in the band did though at our last rehearsal. the sound of each string cuts thru beautifully, as opposed to the Standard, which has this lovely thickness to it, just floating in the background... the two just complement beautifully, especially our playing styles.

i'm going on holidays soon for uni, so i will carry my Jnr around (just coz it's like half the weight of the standard and i'm pretty skinny so i dont want to get severe spinal compression or something) so that means i'll spend more time with it... should be good!!!! (i've noticed how loud it sounds acoustically)

hope u guys are loving ur guitars as much as i am here? sorry to blabber on but i love them dearly...

I also took a look at the underbelly of the pickup and it was blank ... no "Patent Applied For" no "Gibson" no "Orville" nothing ..... blank .... This should be the Orville pickup right???? It's just the guy i bought it from said he's not too sure himself because he's seen Gibby and Orville pups on both before.

That sounds about right (blank). The "Orville" models have Orville Original (MIJ I guess) pickups. The higher-end "Orville by Gibson" models have Gibson USA pickups. My high-end LPC (ebony w/fret edge binding) has "57 Classics" which have the "Patent Applied For" decal. My other LPC (rosewood fretboard) has Gibson TM490 pickups which have a patent number stamped in.

Latest posts

Back