My TST50

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddy Dom

Reaction score
Just another newbie dating question although I've been researching this for years here with no 100% answer.
I have to forewarn you that as the guitar is elsewhere today, I can't send photos ... but ... I'm yet another seeking some clarity about my Goldstar Sound.

I'm pretty confident its a TST50 but the 6-digit s/n has me confused which year it could be.
Neck pocket code is 6-21 BB
neck heel code is 6-18,
pickups are VII
switch code is 621
serial # is six digits: 213XXX
three-ply W/B/W pickguard
butterfly string-tree
final prospec saddles
"the quality instruments of the world" script logo.

TIA,
DD

If that neck goes with that body it is a TST50.

VII means Vintage MKII pickups.

The codes are from different batches though. Pics will help.

If it all goes together it was probably made in June 1987 I would say.

Pot codes and switch code will help.

Man, I think I am more tired than I realize. I was up at 3 am yesterday.

So, the serial number is in alignment with mid to late 1987.

Six Digit Serial Numbers With 2xxxxx 1986 1987 1988

So June 1987 could work.

The switch date is Feb. 1986. I don't know about turnover on the switches. We have seen some that are from a good bit earlier than the production date, so bear that in mind.

The pot dates will be the most helpful. Those seem to typically be 1-3 moths before production. Sometimes a little further off, but they used a lot of pots and there seemed to be good turnover and not much inventory sitting around. May also relate to the quantities they were bought in and availability as compared with the switches.

Man, I think I am more tired than I realize. I was up at 3 am yesterday.

So, the serial number is in alignment with mid to late 1987.

Six Digit Serial Numbers With 2xxxxx 1986 1987 1988

So June 1987 could work.

The switch date is Feb. 1986. I don't know about turnover on the switches. We have seen some that are from a good bit earlier than the production date, so bear that in mind.

The pot dates will be the most helpful. Those seem to typically be 1-3 moths before production. Sometimes a little further off, but they used a lot of pots and there seemed to be good turnover and not much inventory sitting around. May also relate to the quantities they were bought in and availability as compared with the switches.

Pictures, at last. The pot codes are 63 K, I couldn't find a chart of those but they're clear and there's a 1 3 on each pot side.

I have no reason to believe this is not original, nothing appears aftermarket to me. Here in NZ, we don't have lots of Tokais to cannibalise for spare parts.

It came from a store as an unclaimed repair-job but that could have just been a set-up for all I know, unless there is something obvious a more learned eye can see.

IMG_1019.jpgIMG_1020.jpgIMG_1021.jpgIMG_1022.jpgIMG_1023.jpgIMG_1024.jpgIMG_1025.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1029.jpgIMG_1030.jpgIMG_1031.jpg

What is weird is the number is high for 1986. I would have thought 1987.

It is June whatever year it is.

So much confusion around this time. We have seen some weird stuff with 1985 Les Paul Customs that seemed to have been finished (electronics) later than the 1985 serial numbers say.

Somewhere in this period they moved the factory. I have to wonder if this is the result of some sort of disruption in production and is somehow related? There were other shifts as well and departments shut down. Lot of reorganization going on in the mid 80s.

Another Tokai mystery.

Last edited:
Yes, perhaps the most mysterious of the 'serious' brands! (Hold on, that could be a great headstock slogan ... )

I had assumed it was earlier as they changed the shape of the headstock - but mine is bone-standard traditional Fender-style. I wasn't sure when/why they changed them back again.

Thanks so much for your input. I automatically think of the music being made around the time of manufacture.

The idea that the headstock changed at a certain point in all places is a myth created and perpetuated almost 20 years ago by the Registry. I’ve been trying to get that rewritten and overhauled, but so far no success.

Time For An Overhaul/Update Of The Registry?

The headstock was only modified for certain markets. Mainly the United States. But in other areas it never changed. Namely Japan. So lots of confusion around that.

Last edited:
Back