Dating the Fender copies.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchiecroft

Reaction score
Hi guys for what it`s worth here`s my take on the Fender copy dating issue as regards x-y markings.We know for a fact that the number on the neck plate only relates to the model being copied,OK so leaving that aside i`ll try and explain my dating theory using my TTE50 Breezysound.I bought this guitar new in 1987 and was told it was new old stock from 84-85,it was a TTE50 in 2tone sunburst which Tokai call GS and in the bridge pickup cavity there is a GS marking.Now the guitar had a maple neck with post 83 logo,single ply white scratchplate six way bridge and the number on the neckplate is 3218 so matching the 48-52 version.A year later i bought a s/h 83 Burgandy Tokai 62 custom and swapped the necks over because i prefer Rosewood boards.Now i know for sure the neck is an 83 because although the logo was removed you could still make out the letters for the block logo.The heel of this neck is marked 12-3 which i deduce to be December 83. now back to the body of what i thought was an 84/85 and inside the neck pickup cavity there is a 3-6 mark which makes me think the body is March 86. there is another number in the bridge cavity along with the GS colour code which is 8 06 which makes me think it was sprayed in August 86. What do you guy`s think am i way off the mark or not.This needs to be solved. Frenchie

Good theory. Let's see what other have to collaborate or disprove your findings.

Summary:

Neck code in heel: marked 12-3 = December 83
Body Codes: neck pickup cavity 3-6 mark = March 86.
number in the bridge cavity along with the GS colour code, 8 06 = body sprayed in August 86

This is good that we are getting more detailed information like this, can only help.

Ned

Back