My first Tokai with pic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plexirocker68

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my first Tokai. A recent model LS90Q in matte finish. Plays great and sounds lovely, very balanced.

tokai3.jpg

Nice set up indeed!

What vintage is the Marshall amp?

And is that a 'Blues Junior at right? What are they like?

Mike.

Mike, The Marshall is a '69 small top 50 watt tremolo! First year metal panel with all original transformers and caps. Sounds incredible with matching cab. The cab, also from '69 has a Basketweave front, 25 watters with the killer "014" Bass cones, all original. The bass cones on theses 25 watters make them sound much closer to 30H's actually. Warmer and darker. Also in the pic is a Budda super drive 30, epi valve jr. head, and a Fender Pro. Jr. These little Fender Pro jr. amps are great. They really sound close to the Tweed era amps. Dirtier and crunchier than the blackface type Fenders. If your a Marshall or 'British" type amp guy you would love it. I highly recommend these little killers and they still do a great clean. I'm partial to any El84 type amp. Simple too with one volume and one tone control.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Great stuff.

I had a Trem.50 back in '75 with the matching angle front 8x10 cab. Our roadies were not keen on it so I had to cart it, hence the bad back now. I could never get mine to break up until it was melting peoples ears off, or so it seemed. How do you do it? It looked good though even if I had to hide an AC30 behind it and not switch the Marshall on! That really used to peeve our roadies. Mind you, they never really did much anyway except prop up the bar and pull any groupies that were around, the bastards!

I'll seek out a 'Blues Junior' on ebay.

Cheers,

Mike.

Thanks Mike, just to clarify I have the Fender Pro jr. not the Blues jr. Two different amps and I didn't care for the Blues jr. They're more like Blackface fenders with less tone IMO. On my Pro. jr. I Upgraded the tubes to JJ el84's and put in a Jensen Alnico speaker and your pretty close to tweed tones. On the Marshall I use two overdrives one for crunchy stuff and one for high gain rockin' stuff without getting the amp too loud. Nobels overdrive which is the best I've ever played and a Analogman man modified Boss DS-1, the orange one for all the high gain mojo.

Bob

Back