My '85 TLS-65 Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uzigasm

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Been following here for a while. Great site, great info, thought it was about time I introduced my pride and joy. I'm a newbie here, so bear with me.
I always thought my Tokai LP replica was above average due to many years trawling music shops here in Brisbane (Australia) and noting the overpriced ***** people were, and still are, attempting to sell as LP replica - you know, bolt on necks, inch thick bodies and anything vaguely of Les Paul shape.
My model is a TLS-65 serial 5034035 stamped into the headstock so seems to be an 85 vintage. Two piece mahog back, 1 piece maple cap with book matched flame veneer (photo shows the finish) (mid range Tokai Love Rock?) nothing much new from the others you have reviewed on the site apart from a couple of small things.
Bit of background - Bought it new in Brisbane city in early 1991 which I suppose is interesting as it took six years to get from factory to sale. It was ordered and came from Sydney originally as a cherry burst but they changed it on me at the last minute. But when I first saw it I loved it as it was more like Page, Gibbons, Slash AFD which I was into at the time. Cherry is OK but has always seemed a bit loud colour-wise for me. I recall when I first took it from the box the strings were rusty and unplayable, got a little nervous as it cost me $995 aussie dollars which at the time for me was a effing fortune but considering the shop wanted $1895 for a black Gibson LP standard. Now seems I got a bargain as the build and finish is just plain beautiful and by all accounts probably plays equal or better than the black Gibbo they tried to push onto me. They said the resale value of a "genuine" Gibbo would be better. Yeah maybe. You gotta remember and the older farts will, that back then, in my town anyway - no web for research, no e(xcrement)bay, your mostly at the mercy of the local dealers on price and info, would be amazing that anyone got what they really wanted at a good price.
Questions/things of interest on this guitar are: Ink stamped model number on the original ID card from the box says TLS-650 (see photo), can anyone comment on why this is? Tail stop screw heads have more of an arched crown profile than what you normally see, almost all photos I see on this site are flatter top screw heads. Doesnt seem to be any markings on the pups. What are they likely to be?
Reading your forum I'm glad I didnt change anything over the years. Then again didnt need to - great guitar for me. Now needs new pup rings, one circlip missing from a screw in the bridge, possibly do with a refret. I play this through a '91 JCM900 half stack so even in my fumbling fists and fingers it sounds killer. Hope the pics tell the story. Thanks for reading. Uzi.

Looks sweet man. Congrats on the TLS-65!!! I am in the market for an older Tokai as well right now. After I find it then we can cheers to both. Josh

Back