MiJ Tokai Les Paul - Which one should I choose ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Placid Casual

Reaction score
In the new year I'll be looking to buy a Japanese Tokai Love Rock.

I've tried a couple in a shop before and found them to blow away other Les Pauls in a similar price range. I was originally looking to get a Gibson studio, but the LS80 I played sounded much nicer through the Vox than that uglier, overpriced thing.

I've had a look about on the internet, RichToneMusic mainly, seeing as they have the best range of Tokai Love Rocks I could and now im stumped as to which one to get (or just save up for at this point!)

I'd be looking at spending in the region of ?500 - ?800, which gives me a large amount of options ranging from the LS75's right through to the LS150's. However, reading the specs, a lot of the models seem to be very similar and all I can really notice is the different finishes.

I'd quite like a Gold Top guitar, currently they have the LS75 which is ?500 - one of the cheapest Japanese Love Rocks.
The LS90Q seems to have a very similar spec, just with a quilt top and that costs an extra ?130

Is the difference between these guitars purely cosmetic or will the LS90Q have been made with better components ?

I mean if they both feel and sound almost exactly alike, then I'd go for the Gold Top without hesitation, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

Then theres the LS125 and SEB models, both at a similar price to the LS90's. What's the deal with these "Sound Effect Body" models though, has anyone played one ?

"This groundbreaking new body construction offers dramatically increased sustain and note clarity that can actually be felt "streaming" through your body as you play."

Then at the very top of my budget there's the LS150, which I have a sneaking suspicion is probably going to be the most sensible choice.

But yeah, im pretty unsure about it all at the moment, so if anyone could give me a bit of advice that would be very much appreciated!
In the range of guitars I've mentioned above, I just want the best instrument.
If the LS125 SEB has the best sound with it's new construction type then I'll go for that. If in reality, it's nothing special at all, and un-noticeable in a bedroom practice environment, unlike the better pickups used in the LS150 then I'll go for that one instead!

I think you know the answer already :wink: Go for the LS150, Get the best you can afford or you will regret it later.

Another alternative is to hold out for a used guitar, a 1980 LS80 goldtop sold on ebay UK for just over 500 quid a few weeks ago, an absolute bargain!!

JohnA said:
I think you know the answer already :wink: Go for the LS150, Get the best you can afford or you will regret it later.

I figured that'd be the best option.
I'd love to be able to really splash out and grab one of those Limited Edition Ls1000's, but I'd have to sell my Epiphone Firebird and Cort Zenox Custom very quickly and for a good price too. A bit out of my reach for the moment I think, I'll have to wait for the 40th anniversary models instead! :p

JohnA said:
Another alternative is to hold out for a used guitar, a 1980 LS80 goldtop sold on ebay UK for just over 500 quid a few weeks ago, an absolute bargain!!

Im not sure I'd bother with a vintage model, just doesn't appeal to me.
I'd rather a nice shiny brand spanking new guitar, that I can have the pleasure of wearing down and ageing myself!

Though I do remember James Dean Bradfield saying something about an old 80's Tokai being one of the best guitars he's ever owned.
I'd definately want to see it before I hand over my hard earned cash though, and a lot of the old models on eBay come from outside the UK making that impossible!

It'll be a few weeks before I buy this guitar anyway, so I'll just have a look about when I've got the money.
Cheers for the advice John!

Whatever you get, get a Goldtop. The coolest colour for a LP :p

Not even a Strat in gold looks as "right" as an LP/LR does.

Mike

I'm a big vintage fan, but I can see where you are coming from wanting a new guitar. I tried an 'Italia' guitar today at a local shop, great for the money and very cool looking, but the main thing was it was so nice to play a guitar where the frets were new, the pots didnt crackle, the set-up wasnt a compromise etc etc. I know all of these things can be put right on an old guitar but it all costs money!

From what I know the LS1000's are just an LS150 with the anniversary inlay, I may be wrong though.

One thing. Are you aware that the UK Tokai's have a 'dimple' in the headstock so they are not a true Gibson copy? That bothers some people and not others.

And I agree with Mike, Goldtops look great!! Let us know what you get :D

I may be selling a couple of high end tokai's - an LS200 from 05 and an ls150 from 2006 I think, The ls200 is a violin burst flametop with SD Antiquities and a tonepro tailpiece and the ls-150 is a midnight blue flametop.

I'm only thinking about it tho......

Hi There

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Probably the best bang for the buck guitars are the standard LS150 models which is why people always recommend them. They are very much out of stock and like gold dust at the minute however. It would be a case of ordering one and sitting it out.

The SEB models are no longer being made from what we're being told. They are priced the same as the standard models though, so in theory you would have been able to a/b the guitar and see if was right for you and not be hti price wise.

The vintage range of Japanese tokai start at around the ?500 and for each increase in the model number you get an added feature. The main difference is in the woods used/number of body pieces and the finish details.

Tone wise, they are all a variation on a theme and a LS75 will give you THAT Les Paul tone no probs. The best thing to satisfy yourself is to try out a range.

Give us a call and arrange a good time to come down if you are able. We've got a good range at the moment.

guitarslinger said:
Give us a call and arrange a good time to come down if you are able. We've got a good range at the moment.

Pardon me for eavesdropping, but I didn't know it was possible to try guitars at Richtone - I assumed you were mail order only.

Hmmm, maybe a trip up north next year would be a good idea when you have some P90 Goldtops in stock. :p

We've got a showroom for people to come down. Space is always an issue for us so all we ask is people give us a bell and make an appointment before they travel to make sure we can fit everyone in and that specific guitars are in stock.

There's going to be new artwork on our Ebay listings etc to this affect in the coming weeks.

guitarslinger said:
PS - pretty sure i've still got one LS85S GT available.

Own one of those for less than three hours now, feel like I'm drivng a Mercedes.

If you don't mind me asking, what sort of price would I have looked at to buy it from Sheffield?

Just what I was going to ask! Around ?550 wasn't it? I'd love to try a 145 alongside the 85 to see if the nitro finish is worth the extra ?200 or so, but I don't think you often stock them do you?

All the prices are on our ebay shop and has current stocks on there too. The only variable element to Europe is the Shipping. Normally about ?45 ish. Fully insured tracked and take just a couple of days.

We would probably have some of the higher models if they ever came in. They just never come in to the UK in qty to stock and sell on. I'd say there was a general shortage of Japanese Tokai across the board. The 145 would be a special order at this time.

Placid Casual Im not sure I'd bother with a vintage model said:
Well, to each his own. But a vintage guitar is not just about looking worn down or aged. A twenty year old (or older) guitar has aged tone wood and necks that don't require truss rod tweaks over time like new ones do as the wood settles. I've also found that broken in, vintage pickups and electronics sound better in some cases than new.

Either way, it's your choice. The new (higher end) gear is first rate but the vintage stuff is nothing to thumb your nose at. If you can find an older LS100 or above (especially a Reborn), you're doing just fine with that choice.

Probably the best bang for the buck guitars are the standard LS150 models which is why people always recommend them. They are very much out of stock and like gold dust at the minute however. It would be a case of ordering one and sitting it out.

Rich, just a quick query: are the LS150's being sold as the LS165 now?

Cheers.

An LS150 in the UK would be marketed as such. No one would probably search for LS165 so retailers and distributor stick to the older model numbers.

Why oh why can't they just sort this constant model # changing out?

guitarslinger said:

Tone wise, they are all a variation on a theme and a LS75 will give you THAT Les Paul tone no probs. The best thing to satisfy yourself is to try out a range.

I'll have to see what's about when I'm ready to buy then.
If the LS150 is un-available I'd probably settle for a lesser model without feeling too bad at all. It's still more than likely going to be the best guitar I own, LS75 or LS150.

I've tried a couple out in Gamlins in Cardiff, though I doubt I'll buy one there, as they're quite expensive and they don't have anywhere near as much choice as in your shop. They literally have two or three guitars in at a time, and often the display model is the only one they have for sale.

With regards to your current stock, what are the differences between the LS75 and LS90 ?

Both with solid mahogany bodies & necks with the same pick ups - I wouldn't have thought the guitars to be too different in the way they sound and play, but I don't know enough for that to be conclusive.

What does the extra ?130 get you ?

Placid Casual said:
Im not sure I'd bother with a vintage model, just doesn't appeal to me.
I'd rather a nice shiny brand spanking new guitar, that I can have the pleasure of wearing down and ageing myself!

I'm all about collecting the older, grungy looking & rusty vintage stuff but I must say that I recently picked up a MINT 2000 Epiphone Japan (post Orville) that is nothing short of stunning :eek:
The overall build quality is shocking, and the playability, tonal response & the looks are just as shocking.
I would not have believed how good a nice, newer Epiphone Japan Les Paul can be, unless I had it in my grubby mits.
Honestly, I would not change a thing on this Les Paul, and that is the most shocking thing.
I know that I must have gotten the proverbial 1 in a million, because these Epis cannot all be as good as this one, just noooo way.......

EpiLesPaulLTDsolidtop20002.jpg

EpiLesPaulLTDsolidtop2000.jpg

Good luck in your search.....................................

Latest posts

Back