MIC Tokai Vs MIC Jim Deacon

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinhotrod

Reaction score
Took a little visit to my local independant music shop in Kirkcaldy this morning to pick up some little bits and pieces. I noticed right away the MIC love rocks so have to have a wee gander at them, not too impressed as i thought they would have been alot better finished.(compared to an epiphone les paul I used to own) I got talking to the owner and he was saying how dissapointed he was at the recent delivery of these MIC Tokai's, he mentioned that Tokai have changed factorys in China and this has had an effect on quality? I'm sure somone on here could probably tell if this was true or not. He then went on to hand me a Tokai SG and a Jim Deacon SG. The Jim Deacon left the Tokai standing In every way, Far better built, fret binding the lot. I went on to try the Jim Deacon out through a Line 6 Bogner and it just growled at you, sounded superb. only thing was it lacked a little sparkle but hey, it's budget guitars were talking about here.

The best bit aout it was the Jim Deacon was ?50 cheaper at ?199. Sad thing is people will still go for the Tokai because of the name. Pretty poor show, I hope alot of other MIC tokais and not of this quality.

Colin

G'day colin

I own a MIC ALS-43VF and am realy happy with it as I got lucky cos the finnish on mine is of better quality than any other MIC models I've seen so far, It Is very close if not as good as the MIJ models and even some of those are questionable for the difference in price but then again they use better quality materials.

I even own a Epiphone LP Studio but the Tokai plays much better and the Tokai was cheaper.

Hiya Phil

I'm Glad You got a good one, Have you had it a While? It's prob just a glitch with some current stock. Makes me think twice about Buying online when I've seen how poor this batch in the shop was.

Colin

colinhotrod said:
Hiya Phil

I'm Glad You got a good one, Have you had it a While? It's prob just a glitch with some current stock. Makes me think twice about Buying online when I've seen how poor this batch in the shop was.

Colin
I don't know about a glitch I think it's a lucky dip as far as quality goes.
I've tried a few MiC models and feel/tone wise you can tell the difference between mahogany and basswood.
They're not the worlds greatest pickups by any stretch but almost every one I've tried have cosmetic flaws...even if it's just pooled up poly around the neck joint or badly painted headstock face.
For the price they are "reasonable"...especially if you're on a bugdet but just can't stomach the "paddle" headstock on the Epi.

Latest posts

Back